Best spike tent for tall guys

deglazed

FNG
I have an old rei clipper I have ran since 2002 and its on its way out sadly. Having said that its a bit short does anyone have experience with a nice tent for taller guys looking for a lightweight spike setup? thanks!

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Robens Klondike and can stand in the center of it (6'4"). The larger models of that same tent should have more standing room.

If you are 6 feet most tents are probably fine. I'm 6'2" and use an MSR hubba nx (85in floor). Not really an exceptionally long tent and I don't have any issues even with a high sleeping pad and a winter sleeping bag.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Argali Owyhee is kinda long. That could work for a 1p spike tent.

OP
D

deglazed

FNG
the rei clipper is a bit short for me at 5'10 I the taper of the back just hits my feet so a lot of moisture tends to get around in the rain. no snow expected I say EXPECTED it has happened! primarily its just for getting back on spikes from main camp over night- 3 nights. I have see a few and heard good things about skyscrapers. Im not expecting too much in the way of weather other than wind. thanks for the input!

6’7” Niak here I find it comfortable
Slightly tighter than the akto but way more head room and interior space.

Helags or Kaitum are also other good options. Love my Kaitum for partner hunts

Beendare

WKR
6'3" Here,
Seek outside has a couple models that would work- I have the discontinued Eolus at 1#

The best I've seen is Tarptents Double Rainbow- 2 1/2#, Quality construction, the stitching is noticeably better. I have their DR...and an older discontinued model they made 20 years ago- still in great shape.

edit; you actually have a lot of choices, just be careful looking at some of the long footprints on shelters with low sloping walls. Some of those are effectively shortened by as much as a foot or more on all sides.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think the stone glacier tents are a few inches longer than some of the others. I’m 6’4 and use a hilleberg allak, my feet definetly touch the wall on the tent unless is slew at an angle which is at always possible with the contour of the ground.

The Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT has tons of room for me (6’4”), my gear, and dog. I’m not even close to touching either end. You could sleep two if you needed to.

There’s been a couple steep sales on them in the last year or two and you can usually find a used one floating for cheap.