Best Small Bag for Duplex Frame

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
So, I'm planning on getting a 26" Duplex Frame this year. I'm going to set it up with the Longhunter Bag for most backpack hunting trips. However, would like a smaller bag for Day Hikes, short trips into the backcountry, and training with. I was looking at the Kifaru DT3, AG1 (if it is compatible), or possibly even a Mystery Ranch Longbow or Metcalf (modified).

I really am not overly concerned with weight on my smaller pack, but definitely prefer a system that I can keep stuff in and insert weight in and out of a load sling for training and still have space for other gear. I also really like the Longbow's 3-Zip and the Eberlestock's Spike Duffels for easy access, so that is why I'm interested in Kifaru's AG1.

It doesn't look like the AG1 is really built for the 26 inch frame, but I could be wrong. The MR Longbow really isn't built for the frame, so the AG1 would be a much closer fit.

Any thoughts or ideas?

stephen b

WKR
Kifaru new 4800 bag.

Or here is one that is also thinking outside the box and one that I know works- the Stone Glacier Solo bag. And with that you even have a built in load sling.

If you want a great small bag ment to be used on Kifaru Frames, take a look at HillsPeople Gear. They make some excellent products at incredible prices. I use one of their 2200cui S20M Ultra light bags on my frame for day use. EVERTHING is EVERY bit the Quality of Kifaru. The S20M bag I own cost me $45!! Quality and value is just amazing.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So, I'm planning on getting a 26" Duplex Frame this year. I'm going to set it up with the Longhunter Bag for most backpack hunting trips. However, would like a smaller bag for Day Hikes, short trips into the backcountry, and training with. I was looking at the Kifaru DT3, AG1 (if it is compatible), or possibly even a Mystery Ranch Longbow or Metcalf (modified).

I really am not overly concerned with weight on my smaller pack, but definitely prefer a system that I can keep stuff in and insert weight in and out of a load sling for training and still have space for other gear. I also really like the Longbow's 3-Zip and the Eberlestock's Spike Duffels for easy access, so that is why I'm interested in Kifaru's AG1.

It doesn't look like the AG1 is really built for the 26 inch frame, but I could be wrong. The MR Longbow really isn't built for the frame, so the AG1 would be a much closer fit.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The AG1 fits without issue on the 26" Bikini.

dotman

WKR
If you want a great small bag ment to be used on Kifaru Frames, take a look at HillsPeople Gear. They make some excellent products at incredible prices. I use one of their 2200cui S20M Ultra light bags on my frame for day use. EVERTHING is EVERY bit the Quality of Kifaru. The S20M bag I own cost me $45!! Quality and value is just amazing.

X2... I have the C25M and the quality is great, can't beat the $45 price for 2500ci bag (more like 2800ci). These are also being discontinued and I guess they will now only make bags for their own frame yet to be released, so get one while you can cause I'm sure prices will skyrocket.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
If you can get the longbow to go on easily that may even be an option id consider.

For me, for days on my frame when I get it; ill put my E&E on it with an extra pocket and maybe the grab it for a jacket or something.

dotman

WKR
Here is a pic of a HPG C25M on a Bikini Frame with a E&E strapped on the outside, the E&E is not needed to attach the C25m it will attach all by itself with the G-connector or K-connector similar to what is on the Highcamp. Sorry about the crappy pic, I need to clean the lens on my phone.

mdog

FNG
I've used pods with the Duplex frame for the past 3 archery seasons; a large, two mediums and a long pocket on top for hydration bladders/filter. Generally carry enough for 8 days and like the fact that the pods organize my gear: large pod=sleep system, medium=cook kit/food, medium=clothes/etc, long pocket=water. They pop off and remain in the tent open and keep things findable. If hunting for the day and leaving the tent up, I use a medium pod placed on the mid-part of the Duplex and the Long pocket/water always stays on top. I think the long pocket is $44 and a medium pod is $34. Personally I have no problem carrying the Duplex during the day. Shot my last two elk with it on my back. Snapping all the full pods on the Duplex does have a learning curve but I don't see changing a system that works this well.

unm1136

WKR
I just compress my packbag way down. If I wanted to remove the bag and run without it, I have KU pods that I attach. I LOVE THESE THINGS! I would add a KU Grab it for just in case if I were running just the pods.

pat

Here is a pic of a HPG C25M on a Bikini Frame with a E&E strapped on the outside, the E&E is not needed to attach the C25m it will attach all by itself with the G-connector or K-connector similar to what is on the Highcamp. Sorry about the crappy pic, I need to clean the lens on my phone.

Dotman could you post a size comparison pic for that HPG bag? I just want to see the relative size as it looks like an interesting option for day hunting or fishing

dotman

WKR
Dotman could you post a size comparison pic for that HPG bag? I just want to see the relative size as it looks like an interesting option for day hunting or fishing

My 4800 I nolonger have but I should have my 7000 soon so I'll get a pic of them side by side. But you should just order one, the price is so low it is just worth it, $45 last I looked. It fits the frame perfectly but I'm probably going to add some pocket attachment points and shock cord. Maybe even add attachment points for my possibles pouch on the lid.

dotman

WKR
Dotman could you use that hpg bag under your high camp? In between the high camp and frame?

Probably but I don't think I would want to. It would strap on the outside of a highcamp really easy though. You also would have to figure out how to attach the highcamp at the top and still have access to the hpg bag. So probably not work or if it did it would be a big pain.

Better off having the highcamp attached to the frame.

Last edited:
OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the inputs. I know I was looking for a small bag for the duplex frame, but decided to go away from that idea. I actually looked at the Mystery Ranch Bighorn for a long time. However, I came across the Kifaru Late Season and was sold immediately.

I love that I will be able to swap between the 24" stays for up to 5 or 7 day backpacking trips and the 22" stays for travel, day hikes, and work occasionally really grabbed my attention. The zipper access isn't a Mystery Ranch 3Zip, but I only would have wanted that for traveling. Instead I will simply use one of my Eberlestock Spike Duffels for holding the bulk of my clothes and other miscellaneous items when traveling. I should easily be able to go to an airport and pullout the Eberlestock Spike Duffel from the Kifaru Late Season's main pocket for luggage and compress down the Late Season with the essentials for a carry-on.

This will be my first Kifaru pack, so I'm excited to put it to the test. I know its not a 26" Duplex Pack that would give me superior load lift and comfort under the heaviest loads, but it looks like it utilizes there Wraptech Suspension. Regardless of the suspension system used, the 24" stays will give me adequate load lift for carrying 70 plus pound loads. The suspension clearly exceeds that of Eberlestocks, Blacks Creek, and even the Mystery Ranch NICE Frame. The NICE Frame is great, but my curved back isn't a huge fan of the straight frame (if only it had a bend at the bottom of the frame).

I placed my order for the Late Season today. It had boxes for both 22" and 24" stays, but only was charging me for one set of the aluminum stays. I left comment stating to just send me the 24" stays if they need to charge me for the additional 22" stays. I'll have to order a few accessories later this year anyways. So if they just send me the 24" stays, I will get a set of the 22" ones later. If I have to make absolutely no adjustments to the aluminum stays, I will eventually order a set of composites for it too.