Best sling for a mountain rifle?

Best sling for a mountain rifle I've found yet is a simple braided paracord sling that weighs next to nothing. I carry my rifle in my hands all day, and on the rare occasion I sling it, the paracord is more than sufficient, and even better - it slips inside my pack strap and stays put, unlike other slings that ride on top of my pack strap.

Mginn68

FNG
Best sling for a mountain rifle I've found yet is a simple braided paracord sling that weighs next to nothing. I carry my rifle in my hands all day, and on the rare occasion I sling it, the paracord is more than sufficient, and even better - it slips inside my pack strap and stays put, unlike other slings that ride on top of my pack strap.
I’ve never tried a paracord sling. I thought they might be to slick and the rifle would slide off my shoulder ? Do you put any rubber coating or utilize a certain weave so the sling doesn’t slide off ?

I’ve never tried a paracord sling. I thought they might be to slick and the rifle would slide off my shoulder ? Do you put any rubber coating or utilize a certain weave so the sling doesn’t slide off ?
no. I'm always wearing my day pack when I sling my rifle so the paracord sits inside the shoulder strap. I've thought about putting a small stud on the shoulder strap just to keep the paracord sling from sliding off. It wouldn't take much. But as I said I rarely sling my rifle anyway, so it's just not been a priority.

amassi

WKR
no. I'm always wearing my day pack when I sling my rifle so the paracord sits inside the shoulder strap. I've thought about putting a small stud on the shoulder strap just to keep the paracord sling from sliding off. It wouldn't take much. But as I said I rarely sling my rifle anyway, so it's just not been a priority.
Talarik sling hook
17f72216b1bd9f04ecbf3071b2e20e1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
In all honesty I've had quite a few slings but my favorite lately has been
a cheap, simple ole camo "RedHead" sling from BPS.
Very lightweight, easily adjustable and it just works.
Liked it so much I went and bought another.

I made my own and I highly recommend it. I don't have a picture, so here's my description.

The metal sling adapters that came with the rifle (if it came with them). 1" webbing strap that you find the in camping gear section of sportsman's warehouse that. The one in the link is the one I bought, I think. It has a sewn in no slip adjustable ladder buckle. it was in the camping accessories section at sportmans. https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear-supplies/auto-rv/tie-downs/6-utility-strap/p/103305

On the other end I used a plain ladder lock like the smallest piece in the set in the link. I think sportsman's sells these individually or in a smaller set that was $2. https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-...repair/stansport-side-release-buckles/p/p1069

The webbing gets looped through the rear sling swivel and goes through the sewn in adjustable ladder then goes through the front sling swivel. The tail then goes through the small ladder lock in the second link.

Put some silicone caulk on the webbing for grip.

Cheapest, lightest weight adjustable sling I know of.

You can also reverse the position of the locks so the adjustable one is on the front swivel and then have a loop to put the front elbow in for stability when shooting, very similar to a ching sling, which I've heard great things about.

Seeknelk

WKR
Slik sling or kifaru gunbearer only for me, for the last 15 years. Can't imagine any point in time except quick stand hunts for predators or something where I actually use a rifle mounted sling. Or tracking whitetails etc, then the guns in my hands. Two truly free hands in the steep brushy mountains is invaluable.