Best sleep systems

SwankB22

FNG
Looking to purchase sleeping pad,bag and pillow, don’t care if brands are mid matched what are the best overall, price to comfort systems you guys run. I’m 5’ 10” 180lbs. Looking for any input. Thanks in advanced

stephane

Lil-Rokslider
Thermarest x-therm mattress, katabatic Alsek 22deg quilt, then for pillow take your pick depending on the style you want

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I normally hunt with no shelter (just an emergency tyvek sheet I can throw over top of me if weather is really bad).

With that being said, I have used Western Mountaineering sleeping bags since the late 90's. The quality of the down, quality of the stitching and face fabrics, and weight to warmth ratio can't really be beat in my experience. The are also a continuous baffle design, meaning you can push/squeeze the down into areas where you might be colder. They also have what's called a semi-rec cut shape... As a side/stomach sleeper, I cannot use normal "mummy" style backpacking sleeping bags.

For sleeping pads I've had really good luck with quality and durability of ThermaRest. I used to just accept the fact that I was going to need a new pad every 6-12 months. I now carry the same pad year round no matter the temps. Coming up on around 600ish nights on my ThermaRest NeoAir XTherm NXT Max, zero issues other than it's a noisy pad.

Pillow is where people get really picky. I grew up packing in just a sweatshirt or beanie as a pillow, now a days I like a nice pillow, it really helps me sleep through the night. I use the Nemo Fillo pillow. It has a memory foam layer and then you can blow it up to desired thickness. It packs down smaller than a nalgene in its stuff sack, and the memory foam by itself can be a pillow if for some reason it punctures and loses air.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
After ducking around with a lot of different stuff, I think I’ve found d something that works great for me.

-western mountaineering badger MF 6’6 right hand zip
-Thermarest xtherm (the new model)
-Thermarest airhead down pillow

Additionally, I have a western mountaineering down pillow to try this year even though the airhead is a huge upgrade from my old klymit pillow I got free from some Facebook add.

I prefer a synthetic bag, currently using a Big Agnes Lost Dog 15. Thermarest XTherm NXT (new) for one do-all pad; and for pillows I'm less picky, it could be anything from a Nemo Fillo to a Z-Packs Medium-Plus Pillow stuff sack, depending on what I'm doing... I do need some sort of a pillow though!

My favorite sleeping pad is the Big Agnes Rapide SL, but it starts to cut out at about 30 degrees.

Cburket42

FNG
+1 for Western Mountaineering. I have the Badger and it's too hot during bow season I mostly just use it as a blanket then but it packs down so small I bring it for every season. When it gets cold though you'll be happy you took the leap. 100% worth every penny.

I would recommend the thickest pad you can find with whatever R value you're looking for. I use the ThermaRest NeoAir Topo Luxe. Fill it up and then let air out until you're almost on the ground. Best advice I've ever gotten to help me sleep better in the back country.