Best rechargeable headlamp

HM65R is tough to beat, I carry an extra charged battery for it on longer trips. Its got some power to it for sure.

Only complaint is that there is no red/green light, but just noticed on amazon there is a 'shadowmaster' version of it with red light. Anyone have that version of the hm65r?

Last edited:

Dented

WKR
I've got other fenix flashlights, really like that brand. I may have to give their headlamp a try.

SIR_34:16

Lil-Rokslider
I'll echo the 77 outdoor light. I used one on a 10 day hunt and it worked great. I especially like the shade of the red light. It is a true deep red color. My buddy has a Fenix and it is also a great choice. The difference in the red color between the two is noticable though. You could buy a few of the 77 outdoor ones for the price of a Fenix.

Geewhiz

WKR
What kind of battery life are you guys getting out of this fenix HM65R?

Brighter is always better but not when it burns through batteries like crazy.

What kind of battery life are you guys getting out of this fenix HM65R?

Brighter is always better but not when it burns through batteries like crazy.
Varies wildly per user. I'm pretty conscious of light use because I like to keep my night vision intact as much as possible as well as save battery. I've never run low on a hunt that I can remember. Put one of these on my wife or sister and it's high beam all the time even when inside the cabin with the lights on sometimes, drives me nukin futs. They do run out and need charging. Out West wife has never run her's out either probably because I'm always barking at her. We live with lamps on our heads, easily spend 80 days a year at the off grid fish camp and use the lamps for flounder gigging as well as all around camp everywhere, wife and I both former nightshift so it's nothing to be active til 4am or so. By 4am my light is lowering it's power levels on nights where I ran it on turbo for hours gigging. It takes a lot. There's also different AH batteries I believe.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have had a black diamond storm (250 lumen I believe) for years and its been awesome but I wanted something a bit brighter so I bought a black diamond spot 400 (or 450?). Anyway the spot is much brighter as expected but man when its on high (which isnt even THAT high) it seams like it burns through a change of batteries in a couple hours. Would rather have a dimmer light that works than a brighter one that burns the batteries out and doesnt.

Just wondering what people have found to be a happy medium on multi day hunts with an expected overnight pack out. Keeping a light on high for hours to navigate terrain drains those batteries. HM65R check that box?

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a Zebra, excellent light, bought the 77 outdoor light for the red led and for the money it is tough to beat! I think the 77 and Sofrin are the same light!

The Zebra is brighter and the nuetral white led is better on the eyes than the 77, of course it is 4 time more money!

I have a zebra, Fenix 65, nitecore NU 25 and 32, and a few others. I always find myself bringing the NU 32 and 25 with shock cord.

I have had a black diamond storm (250 lumen I believe) for years and its been awesome but I wanted something a bit brighter so I bought a black diamond spot 400 (or 450?). Anyway the spot is much brighter as expected but man when its on high (which isnt even THAT high) it seams like it burns through a change of batteries in a couple hours. Would rather have a dimmer light that works than a brighter one that burns the batteries out and doesnt.

Just wondering what people have found to be a happy medium on multi day hunts with an expected overnight pack out. Keeping a light on high for hours to navigate terrain drains those batteries. HM65R check that box?
I have a Black Diamond Storm 400, couple of them. I like them for the lock function and general low light use but pack as backups in my pack, those AAA batteries just can't perform in any light like the 18650's and such.

With the Fenix I hike on the lowest of the low setting with the wide angle and it's more than enough. I'll bump it on high spot beam to look for eyes or trails or looking for small spots of blood I'll do medium wide angle.

Lando

WKR
I’m going to echo the 77 outdoor. There is NOTHING beating it for the price. A gentleman just did a review on it vs the peax. And while the peax came out on top it’s 3x the price. For my needs I wasn’t convinced I needed to pay more for the very slight advantage
Am I wrong in believing that the peax, 77 outdoor and sofirn are all just sofirn lights?

KineKilla

WKR

This is my favorite right now. 75lm isn't a ton but it's plenty for what I do.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Am I wrong in believing that the peax, 77 outdoor and sofirn are all just sofirn lights?
Yes and no it seams. Basically they did some upgrades and a bigger battery in the peax. But they’re pretty much identical otherwise. Whether it’s worth 3x the price is up to the buyer. I’m not convinced it is