Best "Reasonable" case trimmer

Tcorsini

FNG
If you have a case prep station then the Lee system seems to work the best for me. They sell a threaded cutter adapter that will mount on the case prep station and then you have to buy a case gauge and shell holder for each caliber. They are pretty cheap and I get the most repeatable results with this system.

jerm8352

WKR
What’s the best one for “plug and play”? I want to be able to have the cutters set up for each caliber and never have to mess with it again. I have a Lyman but have to change everything every time I switch calibers and then it takes a while and sometimes trimming a case too short to get it set up right. Looking at the Giraud or the original Worlds Finest Trimmer so I can set it where I want it for each caliber and leave it. Just worried about the WFT throwing brass everywhere.

MooreAK

FNG
Classified Approved

Haven’t seen this one come up. But think I’m going to give it a try.

I wouldn’t go back to something that doesn’t chamfer and debur at the same time. I have a giraud bench mount but also have a Forster with the power adapter and 3 in 1 cutters that works better than most but it ain’t a giraud.

I just bought the Lee cutter tool that you chuck into a drill.
Haven't used it yet but using a separate tool to chamfer doesn't seem like a big deal for my purposes at such low volumes as I shoot and reload.

Unckebob

WKR
After having numerous different hand crank type trimmers over the years I bought a Little Crow WFT 2 trimmer a few years ago and couldn't be happier. The WFT 2 is their model that uses different inserts you pop in and out for cartridges. I have inserts for everything I load for. I have a couple they don't make inserts for but that was an easy fix by ordering a couple blanks and sending them to my gunsmith and he reamed them with the reamer he used to chamber my gun.

With the Little Crow WFT 2 trimmer is extremely easy to use, very accurate from piece to piece, and I can trim 100 pieces of brass in just a few minutes. I couldn't imagine using a hand crank type brass trimmer ever again.

IMO, the WFT 2 is the best affordable trimmer you can get.

same

I'll likely go with the Franfort Arsenal for a few reasons:
  • Dedicated, self-contained turn-key system with onboard motor and without need for separate power (drill)
  • Once you have the size set you can trim, debur, and clean primer pockets very quickly all on the same tool/motion and within seconds
  • Should be able to crank out a ton of cases in a short amount of time, and for me this is key as I'm resizing and then prepping several hundred once-fired cases from .30-06 to .25-06
  • For future .25-06 case trimming (and until I can afford a .25-06 AI prefit), this should be a very fast prep tool

I'll likely go with the Franfort Arsenal for a few reasons:
  • Dedicated, self-contained turn-key system with onboard motor and without need for separate power (drill)
  • Once you have the size set you can trim, debur, and clean primer pockets very quickly all on the same tool/motion and within seconds
  • Should be able to crank out a ton of cases in a short amount of time, and for me this is key as I'm resizing and then prepping several hundred once-fired cases from .30-06 to .25-06
  • For future .25-06 case trimming (and until I can afford a .25-06 AI prefit), this should be a very fast prep tool
Get a good glove...If I don't wear one my thumb gets sore after trimming 300 or so cases that and the shavings mess are the only to issues I have with the FA...I did pick up a 3d printed shaving tray on etsy....I was using a Tupperware under it but was too easy to bump out of place or knock over...

Get a good glove...If I don't wear one my thumb gets sore after trimming 300 or so cases that and the shavings mess are the only to issues I have with the FA...I did pick up a 3d printed shaving tray on etsy....I was using a Tupperware under it but was too easy to bump out of place or knock over...
Thank you for the advice and will do. If you have a moment, can you please shoot me a PM with a link to the shavings tray?

OP
J
Wow!! I should have done this DECADES ago. Cold ass day off and I am putting up LOTS of great quality, consistent brass ready to load. The WTF2 is amazing. Fit right where I wanted. I bought the cutter, 300PRC, 300 Win Mag, 6.5 Creed and 308 Win. Added two adapters and the case prep package. Was maybe $235 delivered and taxed. I’m thrilled
F2697ADE-D345-4888-BB46-DD3F4A13C3D2.jpeg

Reactions: B23

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Wilson micrometer trimmer. Best accuracy without breaking the bank for an accurate power trimmer.

Have seen multiple posts indicating trimmers that index the shoulder. What is the advantage of that? As I understand it, you trim to manage OCL and since that is measured off the cartridge base not sure of the benefit of measuring off the shoulder since the shoulder actually would not touch the chamber if you are bumping by a couple of thousandths.

OP
J
It's not measured off the shoulder. It's indexed off the shoulder. It's simple. Size all your cases. I just processed a ton of 300 PRC. Bumped all the shoulders. Manually trimmed one to 2.570". Used that as a master case. Pushed it flush with the 300 PRC collet and set cutter to touch. Locked it down and ripped off 49 more cases in 2.5 minutes.