Best rain jackets?

junior

WKR
Looking for any input on rain jackets with an upcoming trip in SE Alaska.

It doesn’t look like Sitka has a heavy duty rain jacket option right now, which seems odd.
Don’t think I have much interest in the FL omen. Kryptek is a possibility but haven’t looked into much.

I grabbed an arcteryx beta AR which is 80d gore Tex pro on high wear areas and 40d on the rest where the Sitka dewpoint is only 20d. The arcteryx seems hard to beat at under a pound although it is quite noisy out of the box. Fit seemed a little off as I need a large but the sleeves are obnoxiously long. Color isn’t a huge deal but don’t love the navy blue that the storm hood version comes in and is the only option.

Otherwise I was looking at the Kuiu Yukon. Fairly heavier but it sounds like the fabric is quite a bit quieter and has more features than the Beta AR. I like their solid color selection .With Kuiu running different material than gore companies, how does it compare to an 80d?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider

I've got a AK caribou hunt this fall and I'm taking KUIU Yukon. I had an old set of lightweight KUIU rain gear that served me well for many years so Yukon was an easy choice for me.

Kronos

FNG
It's really really hard to beat Arcteryx.... Although I'm throwing around the idea of trying a Kuiu Kutana. Arteryx fits me great because I have long monkey arms!

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for any input on rain jackets with an upcoming trip in SE Alaska.

It doesn’t look like Sitka has a heavy duty rain jacket option right now, which seems odd.
Don’t think I have much interest in the FL omen. Kryptek is a possibility but haven’t looked into much.

I grabbed an arcteryx beta AR which is 80d gore Tex pro on high wear areas and 40d on the rest where the Sitka dewpoint is only 20d. The arcteryx seems hard to beat at under a pound although it is quite noisy out of the box. Fit seemed a little off as I need a large but the sleeves are obnoxiously long. Color isn’t a huge deal but don’t love the navy blue that the storm hood version comes in and is the only option.

Otherwise I was looking at the Kuiu Yukon. Fairly heavier but it sounds like the fabric is quite a bit quieter and has more features than the Beta AR. I like their solid color selection .With Kuiu running different material than gore companies, how does it compare to an 80d?

Thanks

Mondtbell storm cruiser gore tex, i think its made in the same factory as the Arcteryx rain gear. Have been using it in Alaska last 2 years (140 days), weights 11.5 ounces. All my experience in Alaska I wouldn’t recomend rain hear with a heavy face fabric

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of the kryptek koldo gear, haven't used it much but Damn it feels bullet proof. Long pit zips, adjustable hood.

I haven’t spent any time in SE, but I have spent the bulk of my life west of the cascades in Oregon and Washington. If it’s raining that hard, you’ll want bombproof and venting over breathable and quiet. There’s nothing worse than being wet, and hypothermia can be a real concern in mild temps if you’re wet. I had the FL SEAK which was overkill for here but would have been appropriate for SE. currently use the Kuiu Chugach, which is likely a little delicate for SE depending. I’d look at their Yukon or something similar. Full 3 layer gore with pit zips and $400 ish per piece unfortunately is the range for something like this.

LoggerDan

WKR
I used to rely on the old firstlite seak gear when I was living in remote logging camps on pow and Afognak. I would hunt and work in the jacket. Loved it. It outdid some other guys yukons for constant se Ak rain over long extended times. Sadly, my gear was stolen. I ordered the firstlite omen, and I believe it is a very meaningful improvement over the seak, which was a pretty damned good jacket.
I cut timber and ran log shovels, ran a landing craft boat in bad weather, hunt hike everyting.

OP
junior

junior

WKR
Thanks for all the input. I have the FL seak pants and love them.

K_pem

WKR
If you're looking for a just a rain jacket to wear all day in torrential downpours (like what you'll likely experience in SE Alaska) and willing to sacrifice it being a tad heavy for other hunts, id say you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with the Yukon. If you can stomach getting it in a camo i think they're only like $250 right now, which is a steal.

If you wanted something a little bit more jacket/softshell like, the Stone Glacier M7 is pretty cool with the fleece backer and having more of that soft shell feel to it, albeit heavy, its a great jacket for wet AND cold. It is still louder than I liked but it kept me very dry.

Happy in between, a lightweight ish option that has been pretty tough for me= the Stone Glacier M5.

Steve Speck from EXO also recently has been testing the new CANIS stuff, which looks like it is pretty stout as well, ive never had hands on it though.

Depending on what size you are, I do have an old Sitka Coldfront jacket that would serve you well also, id be willing to talk about selling that, but it is not a light/packable rain gear option.

We had a duck hunting trip this year where it literally rained for three days almost constantly. This is an island we camp out at for the whole weekend. We lived in our Sitka Delta Wading jackets the whole weekend and kept completely dry both out hunting and in camp. I was pretty impressed. We had breathable waders for the bottoms though.
Edit: I have the Dewpoint also but the Delta is far more rugged and heavier.

Last edited:

slimC

FNG
I think by your description your looking for something more warm/insulated but the Kuiu Northridge is SOLID rain jacket and has held up through some poundings for me.

LoggerDan

WKR
I've been cutting timber for the past week in the new first lite omen. It is fantastic. I'm logging behind Ketchikan on revill island in some nasty weather and nasty ground. Perfect performance.

Living in the PNW for 20+ years I've had a few rain jackets. My Kuiu Chugach has been the best performing, but the fit is odd. Assume it's meant for layering, but the torso is really short. The fabric is killer, though.

I'm planning to upgrade to the Forloh AllClima soft shell. Waterproof, quiet, made fully in the USA.