Best rain gear?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m looking for a new breathable rain jacket. I’ve had the stone glacier m5 and didn’t like it, I currently have the kuiu Yukon but it’s got so much blood and stuff on it, it’s also torn and just worn out from 3-4 years of use.

What’s good right now? First lite? Kuiu?

Thanks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Arcteryx Beta LT. Breatheable yet doesn’t easily wet out. Pit zips work for dumping heat. Best part is you can actually go try it on in a store too and see what you think.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For the last couple days, nothing short of non-breathable. Impertech or similar.
I have that covered, I’ve got some
Grundèns stuff and it’s great, non breathable is good for lots of stuff but I still want a new breathable shell.

croben

WKR
I’ve had a Kuiu Katana storm shell for about three years and have been really happy with it.

goosedog

FNG
Find a jacket with gore tex pro shell Arcteryx,Outdoor Reserch I live in western washington and hunt and hike alot in the rain I have had both jackets for many years along with the sitka dew point which is alot lighter but has held up well,for the price the Outdoor Reserch foray jacket is hard to beat amazon has good deals on them as long as your not concerned with a camo patter keep it washed and retreat with a dwr and it will last forever

Seak_angler

FNG
Classified Approved
I’ve had great luck with Kuiu Yukon & Chugach stuff. My First lite omen set has worked great too, the omen is lighter and more breathable than the Yukon set but still very tough.

Last edited:
I really like my KUIU Chugach, but it did start wetting out after awhile just like the Arcteryx Beta AR I had before it. I still wear after a few seasons because it's very light, comfortable, good features (pit zips, useful drawstring locations), durable enough for my needs, stays waterproof even after wetting out, and comes in an okay range of colors (I wear it most days, and don't like to wear camo to work, so I go with solid colors). To that point, the Arcteryx was a lot more stylish for everyday wear if that matters. The KUIU Chugach pants are great, and still have large patches that don't wet out after about three seasons. They are not the most durable pants, but I tend to be easy on clothes even when brush-busting.

For minimalist "just in case it rains on this day hunt" wear, I have a Montbell Versalite I like a lot. No face fabric to wet out.

If I end up buying another expensive-end rain jacket, I'm looking closely at the Columbia Outdry. There is no face fabric, so it can't wet out.

Deadfall

WKR
I too was running Yukon. Hate the new cuff system.
Went to forloh allclima. Pretty solid. Just got out of hills couple hours ago. We had over inch of rain last couple days. Allclima performed perfect. I was cutting wood and re building corral gates getting ready for hunters. My shoes were soaked through. Rest was dry. Much less sweat problem with allclima then heavy Yukon. It's also quieter in woods then Yukon. Also lighter in weight. Yet just as durable thus far.