best puffy jacket for backpack hunt

kipper09

WKR
Looking to get puffy jacket.. Wondering what everybody was using.. I do want it to compress down small so it doesn't take up too much pack space.. Thanks in advance..

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They all compress down. There are a couple good threads on here comparing them. I think it all comes down to weight, cost and wether you want it with a camouflage finish

wapitibob

WKR
I bought kryptek kratos on sale at cabelas and love it. Core4 puffy is on camofire once every two weeks for about 129.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Hey thanks for the link.. Lot of help.. Looks like first lite is pretty good not the lightest but a pretty versatile piece.. As far as camp goes I really don't mind a solid color..

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a blue colored marmot. Stuffs insid a pocket and serves as a pillow. On sale at REI for $99 last time I was there.

stephen b

WKR
Can't say what the best is for sure. I have a couple I like- a coffee colored Canadian made Kuiu spindrift; a grey Patagonia Nano Puff; and an older heavier Marmot - all have been good and served their purpose. I think I like the spindrift the best so far for all around use.

But today I was at REI and saw this Black Diamond Access Hybrid puffy and could not resist the 50% off price for the (L) green one they had in stock.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/pro...nWP6VLTI_dm|pcrid|20834221720|&{copy:s_kwcid}

It is a little heavier than some ( 14.8 oz), but has some nice features. The Schoeller side panels that are on it are really quite nice. I am planning on putting it through its paces this weekend.

Price that REI has it for ($109) now is IMO a great price for what appears to be a real nice jacket.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Looking for something for Colorado and montana bow hunts in September.. The Patagonia nano kind of interests me if you have any thoughts on it

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I have a grey hooded nano puff I have used the last 3 years, mostly rifle hunting. 60 grams of Primaloft One. High quality insulation. 60 grams is on the light side - not a lot of insulation. I like mine.

Looking for something for Colorado and montana bow hunts in September.. The Patagonia nano kind of interests me if you have any thoughts on it

I am very happy with the Montbell Alpine Light Parka in the application of stuffing in my pack while on the move, pulling it out while on the optics and around camp.

Last edited: