Best practices for accurizing an AR

I know a lot of guys are hunting with ARs these days, and I was wondering if there are any best practices for accurizing these rifles. I know triggers are an easy drop-in improvement, and I've heard about aftermarket buffer tubes. What other tips and tricks are out there from the gallery? To level set, let's assume the lower is something like a PSA EPT MOE or similar and a BCA complete upper with 16" barrel and carbine length gas tube. Basically an entry level weapon, not a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense.

Let's hear it!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I know a lot of guys are hunting with ARs these days, and I was wondering if there are any best practices for accurizing these rifles. I know triggers are an easy drop-in improvement, and I've heard about aftermarket buffer tubes. What other tips and tricks are out there from the gallery? To level set, let's assume the lower is something like a PSA EPT MOE or similar and a BCA complete upper with 16" barrel and carbine length gas tube. Basically an entry level weapon, not a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense.

Let's hear it!

The only thing that has a legit functional role in an AR’s precision is the barrel and good bolt (most bolts are fine from a precision view point). If your barrel isn’t shooting well, there are no tricks that will get it to shoot well. From a shooting perspective, a decent trigger helps, and a freefloat handguard is a requirement.

Larue MBT Two Stag trigger is sub $100 and is a very reliable, good trigger.

What handguard is on it?

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
The only thing that has a legit functional role in an AR’s precision is the barrel and good bolt (most bolts are fine from a precision view point). If your barrel isn’t shooting well, there are no tricks that will get it to shoot well. From a shooting perspective, a decent trigger helps, and a freefloat handguard is a requirement.

What handguard is on it?
He’s exactly right.

That’s it for AR’s.

I have never had a PSA barrel shoot well. I have replaced easily a dozen on people’s rifles because they are cheap for a reason… they suck.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie

What handguard is on it?
Thank you for the information!

1- 15" Mlok with full pic rail
1- Old school carbine model behind the gas block with no rail or attachment points

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
One additional question, from a precision/reliability perspecitve, is there any difference between side-charging vs. rear-charging uppers?

E.Shell

FNG
Agree with the above posters about the barrel quality and bolt fit being the main things affecting AR family rifle precision. A good trigger does help the shooter be more consistent.

One other thing would be to lap the upper receiver where it interfaces with the barrel extension. The front surface of the upper receiver bore is often uneven and a little out of square. Lapping improves fit and stability.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
One additional question, from a precision/reliability perspecitve, is there any difference between side-charging vs. rear-charging uppers?
From a pure technical standpoint, no.

However, side chargers typically have a more open receiver which could allow more crap into the action. A conventional rear charger with dust cover is much more sealed. With a nice charging handle with modern latch design, I don’t see any need for a side charger.

Just don’t go too big on the latch as it can catch on gear and pull the bolt out of battery. I had that happen on my last hunt, and had a click instead of a boom… instant tap, rack, bang and javelina went flop.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thank you for the information!

1- 15" Mlok with full pic rail
1- Old school carbine model behind the gas block with no rail or attachment points

You mean you have one of each? If so, the MLOK rail is fine- the barrel either shoots or it doesn’t. The other one needs a freefloat handguard. I would put a Larue MBT trigger in both of they are currently standard milspec triggers.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
You mean you have one of each? If so, the MLOK rail is fine- the barrel either shoots or it doesn’t. The other one needs a freefloat handguard. I would put a Larue MBT trigger in both of they are currently standard milspec triggers.
Thank you and exactly the feedback I was hoping for on these rifles. I may also upgrade the pistol grips to more vertical models for better ergos.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Agree with the above posters about the barrel quality and bolt fit being the main things affecting AR family rifle precision. A good trigger does help the shooter be more consistent.

One other thing would be to lap the upper receiver where it interfaces with the barrel extension. The front surface of the upper receiver bore is often uneven and a little out of square. Lapping improves fit and stability.
This is also true. The brownels lapping tool is good to use. Takes one minute of time usually to clean up the receiver face.

You can technically bed the barrel extension with red locktite or the like, or use stainless shim stock, but unless you are hand loading to the extreme, you won’t notice a difference if you are using a good barrel.

Also some receivers are a “thermal fit” (like BCM) meaning that receiver is slightly undersized relative to the barrel extension, so use of a heat gun on the receiver to slightly expand it is required to allow the barrel to be installed.

I’m sure there are YouTube videos of all this these days. It’s all super easy to. That’s makes the AR system fun, it’s like legos for adults.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thank you and exactly the feedback I was hoping for on these rifles. I may also upgrade the pistol grips to more vertical models for better ergos.

Mmm the vertical grip thing being “better” in ergonomics isn’t as clear cut as people like to make it. Having went the full gamut of grips starting with going vertical sometime around 2003 or 2004, I and others have come back to normal angled grips. They just seem to work better for all around shooting. Funny enough, my preferred grip now is the ones I used to hate- Ergo Tactical Deluxe. Specifically the flat top version.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Regarding barrels, is there a good, better, best list of manufacturers?

Sure. There are a bunch of good barrels, a bunch of so-so barrels, and a bunch of not good barrels. Lots of people will have their own list. I will say that for an all around barrel that someone doesn’t have to muck with, an easy answer has been Larue Stealth barrels. All that I have see shoot well, are reliable, and have offered no issues.

WCB

WKR
I am not a AR guy by any means...but I agree with most every thing above. IMO as long as isn't complete crap...uppers and lowers hold parts (similar to a reel on a standard fly rod... it just holds line). Bolt fit to barrel, barrel, and trigger are what matters most. Free float handguard in what ever configuration you like.

I have a Rise Armament trigger in my current AR and love it.
I have had 2 Wilson Arms barrels on ARs including my current gun (18" Bull .223 Wylde). Absolute tack drivers both of them. I've shot 43 to 62 grain varmint/hunt/match bullets through them and not much different in groups sizes. It groups as good or better than any bolt .223 I've shot.

Don't get all caught up in the ultra light buffer springs, coated bolt carriers, bolts and other crap. I've seen more issues with modified ARs and built ARs than factory guns.