Best pic rings to lap?

SDHNTR

WKR
Weird question, I know. Here’s the deal… I’ve got my one and only Rem 700 (not my favorite). It’s the last of my guns that still has Talley’s and a 1” standard duplex set and forget scope. I want to update it so I’ll use it more.

I’d like to use a 2 piece pic rail and rings. It’s a SA so I’m not too worried about needing the spacing. Being a 700 receiver, I have my doubts about the holes being true. So I’m anticipating needing to do some lapping. That said, are there any particular pic rings that are easier or better to lap? I’ve lapped dozens of Talley’s and Leupold rings, never a pic ring. Any reason why they’d be any different?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve not used that exact model ring, but I have not had good luck with other cheaper Burris ring models. I understand how the inserts work, but are the rings themselves good quality? I have not been impressed with much Burris.

Low and light is also important on this gun.

JFK

WKR
I don’t think there is anything that makes a ring inherently good for lapping. Most of the ring makers say not to do it but plenty of guys still do with no ill effects. Start with the best ring and lap if needed, right? Unless things are really off center you are only talking about taking off a tiny bit of material. I’d get a pair of seekins rings or similar, and go from there.