Best phone mount/ 2018 silverado?

Macintosh

WKR
2019 silverado LD (18 body). What is the best phone mount? I had a simple magnetic mount that clipped onto a vent, but new phone is too heavy and it wont stay put. I put a proclip mount in my wifes tacoma that is great, but their chevy mounts dont look like they fit in the right places as well...so far its the best contender but Im skeptical of the positions it has to go in. The cupholder mounts look ok, but cupholders are in the wrong places. The silly suction cup mounts either dont EVER stick to the dimpled dash material, or they are in my field of view if on windshield. Id rather not drill holes in my dash. Anyone found a solution they really like?

Yoder

WKR
I got a Rokform phone case and magnetic mount. The case and mount both have magnets. It's so strong I can toss my phone at it and it sticks. Definitely recommend.

WKR
Magnet mounts are the best. Is your magnet too weak because you've got a thick case? If the whole mount is pulling off the vent, get one that sticks to the dash somewhere with an adhesive strip.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
I've tried several mounts that use adhesive to stick to the dash. None of them were even remotely strong enough, and all fell off within a pretty short amount of time. There just isnt that much surface on the dash that isnt either dimpled/padded faux leather, or very rounded and doesnt provide enough surface area to stick well. That's kind of the root of the problem, is this particular dash layout/shape just doesnt seem to lend itself to any of the mounts I've tried compared to other vehicles.
The magnet I had was OK, I dont recall the brand, but it was the best of several I've had over the years. it would need a purpose-built mount though, I never had much luck with using a case with it. It's mainly the attachment to the dash that is problematic at this point.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
I got a Rokform phone case and magnetic mount. The case and mount both have magnets. It's so strong I can toss my phone at it and it sticks. Definitely recommend.
Where do you have the mount attached to the dash? I am pretty sure th emount I've been using was a rokform magnet that attached to the vent, tbut the little vent clip isnt stong enough to stick. I have had very bad lucj with any adhesive mounts, so I'nm curious about how you mounted on your chevy? Looking around several of the brands dont even offer a mount for model year 14-18 silverado/sierra...the seems the dash is hard to work with?

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
Mine is just a generic mount stuck to my dash with adhesive. It's in a car but you could stick it anywhere with a smooth surface. I was skeptical it would stay put, but it's been good.

tony

WKR
I'm using a Ram mount that suction cups to the window. I have it mounted real close to the A pillar and corner of the windshield. You can pick different length arms and phone holder sizes.
Complete adjustment! It is bulky and sometimes will fall off yes. I'm still able to watch the road, see who calls, look at music, podcasts while driving though. Yeah I know, I know ;)

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Bulletpoint is not offered for 2014-2018 silverados.

@fngTony—how do you have it mounted? Any chance for a photo of your mount? It’s not the phone holder that is the issue for me, it’s getting a mount to stick to the dash in a location I like. I’m curious what you have done for this. So far I am zero for 5 or 6 on adhesive mounts, so any adhesive mount is off the table.

I use a bullet point in my ram, I am not sure if they make it for your truck or not.

I am really impressed by my Bullet Point mount. I have the double mount for a tablet and my phone. Mines in a ‘21 GMC Sierra. Super solid and easy to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bulletpoint is not offered for 2014-2018 silverados.

@fngTony—how do you have it mounted? Any chance for a photo of your mount? It’s not the phone holder that is the issue for me, it’s getting a mount to stick to the dash in a location I like. I’m curious what you have done for this. So far I am zero for 5 or 6 on adhesive mounts, so any adhesive mount is off the table.
It belonged to my previous employer but I think I can find picture. I had it suctioned to the windshield, arm just over the dash so my phone was easy to see but didn’t obscure my view.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Depending on how serious you want to get, the Ram mount dash bolt on is top notch.
I have ram mounts on some marine electronics, there are super solid...but I'm not that serious about it with my truck. Hoping for an almost as solid option, that is less invasive (i.e. not crazy about drilling holes in dash, etc).

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Macintosh I didn’t realize how many options are made by ram mount, I’ll try to explain what I had. Their xgrip holder, arm was about 18”, suction cup to the window. I positioned the arm so the front barley rested on the dash for extra stability.

LCV

FNG
2019 silverado LD (18 body). What is the best phone mount? I had a simple magnetic mount that clipped onto a vent, but new phone is too heavy and it wont stay put. I put a proclip mount in my wifes tacoma that is great, but their chevy mounts dont look like they fit in the right places as well...so far its the best contender but Im skeptical of the positions it has to go in. The cupholder mounts look ok, but cupholders are in the wrong places. The silly suction cup mounts either dont EVER stick to the dimpled dash material, or they are in my field of view if on windshield. Id rather not drill holes in my dash. Anyone found a solution they really like?
Long time lurker first time poster. Check out Course Motorsports, uses screws that are already there so no drilling.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Long time lurker first time poster. Check out Course Motorsports, uses screws that are already there so no drilling.
Thanks, and welcome. According to course's website they do not offer a mount for a 2014-2018 silverado.