Best Pack

MtnMuley

WKR
For your personal needs, I'd look in the classifieds for a used Kuiu frame with a 3200 cu/in bag. Should be able to pick one up cheap. If you decide you want to go a different route or upgrade, you can always easily sell it back on here. I'd save some money buying a used pack and upgrade your pad, bag, tent, etc.

Marble

WKR
For the OP, keep in mind doing a "bivy" hunt could include carrying a load of meat out. Make sure whatever pack you get, it can carry a substantial load of meat out, and your camp.

I've never been elk hunting and killed an elk, then said, "Dang I wish my pack were smaller."

Am extra pound or two could give you a lot of carrying ability.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
Lots of great packs these days. It needs to carry a load out with your camp, although I dont worry about getting my full camp out with the first load of meat in most cases. Most modern packs are going to have the meat on a shelf between bag and pack, so bag size doesn’t necessarily matter for meat carrying. I think buying a pack that is a lot bigger than actual need leads to carrying to much junk. Some are able to avoid that but for me, if I have a bunch of free bag space, I’m probably going to bring more junk than I should. I downsized bags for just this reason. For hunts where I’m not bivy hunting, but just setting up a (more comfortable) camp a ways back and hunting from there I just put the comfort items I wouldn’t carry on a solo bivy hunt on the shelf going in. If I was bivy hunting in really cold weather I’d have to upsize. I live in the middle of my hunt area. If its that cold I’m probably sleeping in my bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Thanks for all the help guys! I currently have an rei flash 55 backpacking pack, would that suffice for hunting? I’m worried about lack of capacity. Also, I saw people saying to just get a backpacking pack. Does this mean that camo for elk and other big game is somewhat of a gimmick? My family has a few big backpacking packs, so would if just be better to use my money on other equipment?

I wouldn't call camo a gimmick but keep in mind two things.

1. Kifaru hunting packs, one of the premier brands mentioned above, for years and years ONLY came in BLACK. Lots of hunters were killing and comfortably hauling a lot of game with those black packs. Unfortunately I wasn't killing a lot of game but I loved my black Spike Camp and kick myself for selling it. So if you have packs I would not buy another for the camo. Use what you have until you see the need for a hunt specific pack.

2. Many hunters have dropped their camo packs when stalking an animal and wish they weren't camo when they go back to look for them.

I run an osprey aether 70 for 1 to 5 nights. I already had it from backpacking and it’s worked well for hunting. Hauled meat with it too and it held up. I think you’ll find many of the bags that work for 5 nights will also work for 2 nights by tightening down the straps. The benefit to the bigger bag is that it leaves room for meat hauling.

peterk123

WKR
I have researched this topic to death, on this site and everywhere else. I also came across some great Stone Glacier vids. I have yet to strap any of these packs on my back, and I know it will all come down to fit and comfort. But watching those SG vids really shined a light on how incredibly well thought out the design is, and that I need to get a pack larger than I originally planned. They pack down to nothing but expand into a gear and meat hauling monster. I'm sure all of the other high end brands are much the same.

Funny thing. For backpacking, daypacking or just simple hikes I have an Osprey 58 liter. I often thought of buying a smaller pack but being a cheap bastard and all, I could not get myself to do it. Plus, my pack weighs nothing. So I just started cinching it way down for the small hikes. Here I was thinking I was a pioneer of the one pack for everything. Who knew backcountry hunters have been doing it forever :)

derricklay23

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll find that a pack suited to 5-6 days sucks down to 2-3 days easy but if you go tight to start you’ll have to get real creative on a longer hunt should you choose to do one. You don’t need something huge but I like to be in the 60L range. I’m sporting a MR Selway and it’s been on day trips up to 9 days in archery this season. Hauls well too. Lots of choices out there.

The top two bags in this picture are about 7 days of food. Goes down to just the grey OR bag for 2-3 days. The rest stays the same. Sleeping bag not pictured.

647c6e259397338026cab5a5ece01a32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How big are those dry bags you pack your food in for 7 days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNElk33

FNG
My recommendation is to get an EXO. I was in the same boat looking for a day or couple day capacity pack. The difference between a 3200 and 4800 is 5 oz. The packed down size difference is 1/2 and inch. Lid is removable. You have a bag that has 4-7 day capacity, but packs down like a day pack. Literally the best of both worlds and you only need one pack. It’s expensive, but you will never need another for day or multi day trips.

Thanks for sharing, everyone! I'm in the same boat as the OP, looking to upgrade.

My current system is a cheap REI frame with a cheap camo day pack tied to it. It has has carried several elk and other critters out of the woods, but leaves a lot to be desired when I hear how ppl talk about modern packs.

Horby

FNG
I'll throw my vote in. I like my MR Metcalf. Each Manufacture has a little something that another doesn't, I like how Kuiu packs load lifter stays can double as a rifle sling holder, the Metcalf doesn't have that, Exo has 2 extra straps to hold meat bags in place that Metcalf doesn't. Still I would choose MR because of other features. Every pack has different features that others don't just try to wear as many as you can before purchasing one. Kifaru probably has the most options of any manufacture. Just my 2 cents

Archbull

FNG
Kuiu 3200 has worked great for me for a long weekend hunt. A long trip with a heavy load probably Kifaru.

Ono

FNG
2 nighters, an exo 3500 would be fine. Anything more or if you want modularity, kifaru. I have an exo 3500 and a kifaru reckoning.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
Short answer is the one that fits you the best, and the only way to figure that out to try as many as you can. Your budget is a big factor too, but since you said "best" check out Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside. Any of these can probably get you fitted. There are cheaper alternatives with varying downsides that would be plenty adequate, but the big thing is that what you get needs to fit.

As far as capacity, my Exo 4800 is just about maxed out with everything in it plus five days of food, but my synthetic quilt eats up a lot of pack space. So your gear will help determine capacity. When in doubt, go a little bigger. Most of the really good packs compress down well so there's really no such thing as too much bag, especially once you've packed in overnight gear. I'd probably start at 3000 cubic inches and larger.

Unfortunately, there's no easy answer and no one size fits all answer, at least in my experience. I had to go through a handful of packs to get it right for me.
I think this is right on. I have used about 5 different manufactures of packs over my 20 years of elk hunting. And several different packs form the same manufacturer. I ultimately think it comes down to personal fit and preference. I’ve liked each pack for different reasons but I just go with the one I can afford and is most comfortable for me. If I’m comfortable I and hunt harder....longer.....increasing my odds of success

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
I have the mystery ranch metcalf, picked it up this year on a sale and last year’s version so it was 2\3 cheaper. I like it so far love how it can hold a ton of things with the overload shelf, look for sales and consider buying used or older models and you can save a lot of money!

Horby

FNG
If there’s anything I’ve learned about packs, you’re gonna think your first is awesome and you’re never gonna think it’s bad until you try that next level. I learned the same thing about optics. Get whatever you can afford/justify, make sure it fits and go hunt.

For the past month I went through the same dilemma. My Eberlestock has worked well but is very heavy and I don't like packing the meat out inside the bag. I've spent countless hours reading reviews, watching youtube, and scouring every manufacturers website. It came down to three choices for me: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Mystery Ranch. I went with the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 and SG Approach 1800.

One thing I wanted specifically was a pack that had a dedicated spotting scope pocket and one with a dedicated meat shelf. I hunt late October through December so needed a large pack for winter. The SG Approach 1800 was not planned but found one used that still had the tags on it. I think it will work great for an early season bivy/day pack. Using my xCurve frame from the Talus for the 1800 will be an easy swap and the 1800 also has the spotting scope pocket and I can use the meat shelf.

In my mind I think the combo is going to work well for my hunting, camping, and day use needs. We will see how the reality works out. Good luck in your own personal search.