Best Pack

Elk830

FNG
I'm getting into bowhunting and was wondering what the best pack would be for 2-night bivy style elk hunts would be?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Search the 1,000 threads on this topic. If I was taking that trip it would be my Kifaru 22Mag. I made many many many trips like that using my old Osprey packs too.

2ski

WKR
Search the 1,000 threads on this topic. If I was taking that trip it would be my Kifaru 22Mag. I made many many many trips like that using my old Osprey packs too.
I hate it when people post stuff like this. Let's be more helpful than this...it's easily 2000 threads. Lol

To the OP. Welcome to the rabbithole. Kifaru, exo, or stone glacier will be your most frequent responses.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Guess we forget that we all were “newbie” once.
I’ve got a dozen packs hanging in the basement. My grab and go pack now is a Eberlestock F1 frame and then pick the bag for the situation.
I love the ability to taylor the frame to the hunt.
Stick with the tall frame so you’ll have load lifters that function.
Good luck and welcome.

Drenalin

WKR
Short answer is the one that fits you the best, and the only way to figure that out to try as many as you can. Your budget is a big factor too, but since you said "best" check out Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside. Any of these can probably get you fitted. There are cheaper alternatives with varying downsides that would be plenty adequate, but the big thing is that what you get needs to fit.

As far as capacity, my Exo 4800 is just about maxed out with everything in it plus five days of food, but my synthetic quilt eats up a lot of pack space. So your gear will help determine capacity. When in doubt, go a little bigger. Most of the really good packs compress down well so there's really no such thing as too much bag, especially once you've packed in overnight gear. I'd probably start at 3000 cubic inches and larger.

Unfortunately, there's no easy answer and no one size fits all answer, at least in my experience. I had to go through a handful of packs to get it right for me.

will it ever be more than 2 days? lots of good options, but super broad question.

between kifaru, EXO, mystery ranch, stone glacier, seek outside, you'll find the perfect pack... unfortunately it's not very straightforward, and pack fit is personal. one or 2 will fit you better than the rest.

buying a used kifaru or EXO is pretty safe, they have incredible resale, and you can get your money back if you don't like them... both great packs too.

i have been through a lot of packs, right now my EXO is my go to, and i have a couple mystery ranch packs too. EXO is my favorite, but doesn't mean it will be yours.

you don't want to skimp on your pack, it's one of the most important pieces of hunting gear, it needs to fit well and hold up

You’ll find that a pack suited to 5-6 days sucks down to 2-3 days easy but if you go tight to start you’ll have to get real creative on a longer hunt should you choose to do one. You don’t need something huge but I like to be in the 60L range. I’m sporting a MR Selway and it’s been on day trips up to 9 days in archery this season. Hauls well too. Lots of choices out there.

The top two bags in this picture are about 7 days of food. Goes down to just the grey OR bag for 2-3 days. The rest stays the same. Sleeping bag not pictured.

647c6e259397338026cab5a5ece01a32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swede

WKR
It would be better to ask these clowns; what are the attributes of a good pack besides being adjustable and expensive? I want one with a hard belt that will support much of the weight of the pack so it is not all on my shoulders.
I am no authority on packs, but like my Kuiu. With it I can use the same frame and just change packs. They are not cheap, but mine works well for me. I know where you can get a cheap Cabela's Alaska frame with pack FOB my front porch.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It would be better to ask these clowns; what are the attributes of a good pack besides being adjustable and expensive? I want one with a hard belt that will support much of the weight of the pack so it is not all on my shoulders.
I am no authority on packs, but like my Kuiu. With it I can use the same frame and just change packs. They are not cheap, but mine works well for me. I know where you can get a cheap Cabela's Alaska frame with pack FOB my front porch.
You may want to watch your tone if you want to last on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dooger

FNG
I have a MR Sawtooth 45 in Foliage that’s never seen the field (tags are off, but in the bag) if you’re interested. They usually go for $450. It’d be fine for a few nights. 2745 cu. in. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Swede

WKR
You may want to watch your tone if you want to last on this forum.
I meant nothing negative by the clown comment, just as I did not think the banter above was offensive. I took it all in as kidding and intended the same. That said; if you ever want to boot me, please feel free.

I was voted class clown in 6th grade, so I think I am over qualified to answer this, but what the heck. First off I would not be taking a 2200 ci pack under any circumstances for any overnight trips. Secondly do yourself a favor and just buy a Hoodlum or Reckoning.

You’re welcome ;)

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
Thanks for all the help guys! I currently have an rei flash 55 backpacking pack, would that suffice for hunting? I’m worried about lack of capacity. Also, I saw people saying to just get a backpacking pack. Does this mean that camo for elk and other big game is somewhat of a gimmick? My family has a few big backpacking packs, so would if just be better to use my money on other equipment?

peterk123

WKR
Thanks for all the help guys! I currently have an rei flash 55 backpacking pack, would that suffice for hunting? I’m worried about lack of capacity. Also, I saw people saying to just get a backpacking pack. Does this mean that camo for elk and other big game is somewhat of a gimmick? My family has a few big backpacking packs, so would if just be better to use my money on other equipment?

I am going through the same process, but I am planning for next year. The recommendation to do a search on this forum is sound advice. I have spent the past two weeks going through all the "what pack" threads. There are some great threads on the subject. You will start to narrow down a few packs that will interest you, then you can get very specific with your searches.

Me, I am keyed in on Stone Glacier. I think it is probably one of the three most popular on this forum. I have never heard a bad thing about them neither. I will be living near Bozeman within a year, so that was another reason for me to consider them. I want to support a local US business if possible. The last piece of the puzzle will be that it has to fit. They have a few frame options, so I suspect fit will not be an issue. Pete

Coltsp100

FNG
Kifaru is the the best of the best but if your looking for somthing that’s a little cheaper but still amazing quality get mystery ranch.