Best Long Range Elk Projectile - Powerbelt ELR

treillw

WKR
Currently have a 50 cal inline (Knight Disc Extreme I believe - it's probably 10 years old or so).

I'd like to be able to shoot 300 or 400 yards with my inline. I've been toying with the idea of getting a CVA Paramount in 45 cal, but I think I can get that range from my current gun.

I'm looking at the Powerbelt ELR bullets. Are they effective on elk? Anything better out there with a higher BC?

Thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've shot a few things with elr out of my paramount all died without drama.

I really like Parker production black max bullets unfortunately I'd have to size for paramount (over sized bore) and don't have a sizer. Since the elr are so accurate in my rifle I haven't bought one yet.
8ead72066263b2d478f3894079db7d10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I just built a .45 smokeless 500 yard elk muzzy and the Parker Black Max 327 was my choice. Worked very well. I wouldn’t use the 300 - I’d go with the 327 gr. The 300s are a great deer/antelope bullet.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I personally wouldn’t shoot anything made by Powerbelt at an elk….

Yes, much better options with way better terminal performance.
Why's that?

Please elaborate on some other options.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I just built a .45 smokeless 500 yard elk muzzy and the Parker Black Max 327 was my choice. Worked very well. I wouldn’t use the 300 - I’d go with the 327 gr. The 300s are a great deer/antelope bullet.
Unfortunately sabots aren't MT legal.

In a .45, I’d shoot the .45 Parker Black Max 327s bullet-to-bore (no sabot) or the Fury 325 Star Tip2ps. Or the Fury .50 320 gr.

I don’t think your Knight will ever be a 400 yard elk gun, I’d build a .45 before I’d waste my money on a Paramount. Cheaper and you’ll end up with a nice rifle.

Why's that?

Please elaborate on some other options.
The ELRs perform like a shearing (not mushrooming) type bullet (like some monometal bullets). What you typically see with them on impact is the front half shears off. IIRC, there were also some manufacturing issues they had with them where the skirts didn’t come off upon firing which will cause accuracy issues. Also, they’re a plated bullet not jacketed. And the 285 gr in a .45 is too small for elk in my opinion. They just don’t hold up on big animals. Although they are better than the dismally-performing original Powerbelts. Marketing nonsense at its best.

If you’re going to stick with your .50 you might try the new Hornady Bore Driver ELD-X 340s.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
In a .45, I’d shoot the .45 Parker Black Max 327s bullet-to-bore (no sabot) or the Fury 325 Star Tip2ps. Or the Fury .50 320 gr.

I don’t think your Knight will ever be a 400 yard elk gun, I’d build a .45 before I’d waste my money on a Paramount. Cheaper and you’ll end up with a nice rifle.
How do you go about building one?

Basically, you’d choose a platform like a TC Omega, TC Encore, Savage, CVA Scout or Remington 700 and get a custom barrel for it from one of the shops like Hankins, Arrowhead or Woodman Arms. These would be smokeless-capable barrels but you could stick with standard bp sub powders where required. You might check out one of the dedicated muzzy forums like Modermuzzleloader for endless reading on the subject.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Basically, you’d choose a platform like a TC Omega, TC Encore, Savage, CVA Scout or Remington 700 and get a custom barrel for it from one of the shops like Hankins, Arrowhead or Woodman Arms. These would be smokeless-capable barrels but you could stick with standard bp sub powders where required. You might check out one of the dedicated muzzy forums like Modermuzzleloader for endless reading on the subject.
Much better performance than a paramount at similar cost?

The Paramount's seem pretty nice with the trigger tech triggers and brakes.

Yeah you’d have a smokeless-capable rifle and not have to roll the dice with hit or miss CVA quality control.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Currently have a 50 cal inline (Knight Disc Extreme I believe - it's probably 10 years old or so).

I'd like to be able to shoot 300 or 400 yards with my inline. I've been toying with the idea of getting a CVA Paramount in 45 cal, but I think I can get that range from my current gun.

I'm looking at the Powerbelt ELR bullets. Are they effective on elk? Anything better out there with a higher BC?

Thanks!
With the Knight 50 it’s a great gun , but it has a 1 in 28 twist barrel. That twist will not stabilize bullets out to 4 or 5 hundred yards. The Paramount 50 has a 1 in 22 twist and is better suited for longer shots. The Paramount 45 will allow you to shoot bullet to bore or sabot. I would suggest anytime you are going long range go with a fast twist barrel. Hope this will help