Best KUIU setup for Elk

What about the guide jacket vs the yukon rain jacket. Can the yukon be worn as an everyday jacket?

Also, what about teh guide pant as an everyday wear? Is it too warm for colorado in sept?
The Yukon is pretty tough, no insulation. Guide jacket is warmer, tough and more comfortable for everyday wear imo. So it depends on how you hunt and what you're trying to accomplish. Guide pants are too warm for everyday wear. Much better to go with the lighter pants and add base layers if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

So does no one really ever like/run the Yukon pants? It seems the attack pants are the GO-TO.
I managed to pick up a brand new pair of Yukon pants for 130$ so it was a no brainer that Ill be running those for my rain bottoms. I hike alot of long wett grass so Its almost imperative that my bottoms at the least are tough and water proof.

kinda sucks they have a 25% off sale and dont have enough product? or be able to backorder anything you want i couldnt even order pants. out in my size in 3 diff models got a big order in enough for 25% off except no pant for me

kinda sucks they have a 25% off sale and dont have enough product? or be able to backorder anything you want i couldnt even order pants. out in my size in 3 diff models got a big order in enough for 25% off except no pant for me

That is strange. My order was placed on Thursday and they had one pair of pants that I was ordering listed as on backorder. It took my complete order including the backordered item. Got my 25% off and free shipping.

So does no one really ever like/run the Yukon pants? It seems the attack pants are the GO-TO.
I managed to pick up a brand new pair of Yukon pants for 130$ so it was a no brainer that Ill be running those for my rain bottoms. I hike alot of long wett grass so Its almost imperative that my bottoms at the least are tough and water proof.

The Yukon pants are awesome as long as your not spot and stalk hunting. I killed my moose wearing them but it happened quick and it was drizzling. I tried to stalking Bison with them and no go/.

If they had a kuiu outlet store in Denver or Colorado Springs might be easier to modify your gear before heading up the mountain.
Hint hint Jason.

I was out on the side of an open mountain in chest high shin oak glassing some elk and I saw the storm
Coming but I did not want to change my position and was
Worried about movement so I only slipped on my rain jacket (Sitka downpour on that hunt). The rain was half sleet and came down like
A dump truck poured on me. I had my Attack pants on, they shed the water for the first 15 minutes than they got damp. I could not change
My position, knowing a shot could present itself around 375 to 400 yds. Not catastrophic having damp pants, but it sucked that day. I would have already had my gear on that day if I would have had light rain gear. Sitka downpour is for a stationary hunter not an active one. Lesson learned.

My point is that you will find that there are multiple possibilities of circumstances that you can't carry enough gear to
Cover every scenario. Colorado is very unpredictable from morning to afternoon and by the end of the week you find that
You move location to location with different terrain that really some basic universal gear is needed.

My experience has taught me:
1. Always have a down puffy jacket or vest stashed in your pack. I don't care if it's 70 degrees never
Leave it. Super Down vest.
2. Always have a light rain jacket, Colorado is not BC so don't worry if it's too thin and can get a hole in it
You can use a poncho for 90% of the type of rain there. Most outerwear you hunt in anyway has a DWR finish and
You just need something light to wear over it to deflect most of the rain/sleet/snow. Ultra NX rain gear.
3. Always wear gaiters. It's like a soccer player wearing shin guards. I know the small cuts you get from deadfalls
And they suck. Not to mention morning dew, snagging a pant leg, and getting dirt/fine gravel in your boot. Mud comes
Off way easier than it does off your pant leg. Yukon gaiters.

Puffy, Rain Jacket, Gaiters...
Top of my list. Kuiu makes all three that are great.

Here is a set up that I have been building over the spring/summer for a September elk hunt in Nevada, after reading a lot of Rokslide discussions:

Base: 145 1/4 zip merino top (need to get 145 zip bottoms)

Outer:
Alpine pants
Pelaton 240 hooded

Insulation:
Kenai hooded jacket

Rain shell:
Sticking with Cabelas Space Rain top/bottom for now. Might get the Teton setup if I have the $$$

Would also like to get some kuiu gaiters and their Bino harness as well.

Back