Best Introductory Camera for Field Photography

jdn0008

FNG
Looking to upgrade my field photography. Been using my iPhone (12 Pro) for the last three years and has worked great but want to unlock the benefits of using a real camera. I am completely lost in this area and any insight would be appreciated. Also, any resources that are beneficial to learn how to use your suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Youtube camera reviews are very helpful. What type of photography are you wanting to do mostly?

For a beginner, I think it's hard to go wrong with a micro 4/3 mirrorless camera. Everything is smaller, cheaper, and lighter than a full-frame camera and it will still give you quite a bit of image improvement over an iPhone.

Good morning. Give me or Jeff a call at 516-217-1000 to discuss the options. Mention Rokslide when you call

There are great options. without going crazy $$ wise.

Happy to help

Joel
516-217-1000

Hi
Not to start a debate but the major manufacturers are no longer making or supporting DSLR's. As they sell out they are gone. None of them will be coming out with new product. Both Canon and Nikon have a list we get as they sell out of no longer available lenses. Other then their top professional cameras none are available any longer. When those sell thru they will be gone as well.Mirrorless does everything the DSLR's did, only better. Faster focusing, better Image stabilization, MUCH better focusing in video, smaller, lighter and since the back element is closer to the sensor, MUCH better bokeh as well.
Buying used DSLR's is fine provided they were still available new within the last couple of years. Both Canon and Nikon are not supporting repairs on older models. Both have adapters to use the older system lenses on their mirrorless cameras so you can get great deals on used lenses.

Hope this helps

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

If you are interested in landscaping photography , urban photography and architecture photography. I'll recommend a DLSR Camera.

Why would you provide a blanket recommendation for a DSLR over a mirrorless camera? Not trying to be confrontational, I'd honestly like to learn. All of the major camera manufacturers are shifting to mirrorless and I see the benefits of mirrorless over DSLR.

Mirrorless benefits I'm aware of:
  • Smaller camera body
  • Live view of camera setting changes
  • Better viewing on main camera screen instead of viewfinder port
  • Silent shutter modes
DSLR benefits I'm aware of:
  • Typically cheaper (but not always)
  • Protection of sensor when changing lenses in the elements

bluemoonx

FNG
Why would you provide a blanket recommendation for a DSLR over a mirrorless camera? Not trying to be confrontational, I'd honestly like to learn. All of the major camera manufacturers are shifting to mirrorless and I see the benefits of mirrorless over DSLR.

Mirrorless benefits I'm aware of:
  • Smaller camera body
  • Live view of camera setting changes
  • Better viewing on main camera screen instead of viewfinder port
  • Silent shutter modes
DSLR benefits I'm aware of:
  • Typically cheaper (but not always)
  • Protection of sensor when changing lenses in the elements
Battery life is better on DSLRs.
In general, mirrorless has gone with EVFs. Some people may still prefer optical viewfinders.
Lens selection is still better, and lenses are cheaper. Lots of options on the used market.
And you can get a pro body less expensive than a mirrorless pro body.