Best gutless video I have seen

ozyclint

WKR
nice one. for evidence of sex, wouldn't he just have to leave the head attached? anyone could clearly see it was a cow if the head was left there.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
That is pretty heavy evidence, easier to use the genetalia or however you spell it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
That is pretty heavy evidence, easier to use the genetalia or however you spell it.

Actually in many cases up here evidence of sex is required by leaving it naturally attached to the meat, antlers in many cases isn't good enough. Mainly because I guess back in the day guys where going WAY shooting big bull moose, hauling the antlers out, and then shooting a cow when they got close to the road to show for the meat.

swat8888

WKR
Definitely need the evidence of sex or you pay the $170 fine....lol, I speak from experience.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Just leave the genitals attached to the meat and you will be good to go, pretty easy to do just don't fully remove them when skinning.

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
The key word is "naturally" attached. Which is the rule in CO. You can't carry out the head/testicles/antlers/udder as proof unless it's still connected. I leave the udder/testicles on one of the rear quarters.

One of those little things that can get you in some trouble.

Rizzy

WKR
Thats a great video, however I would be nervous about leaving the hide on in warm weather. The skin and hair really insulates the meat. I quartered a deer like that once and it tasted gamey. In the snow or cold weather that method is a real time saver.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Thats a great video, however I would be nervous about leaving the hide on in warm weather. The skin and hair really insulates the meat. I quartered a deer like that once and it tasted gamey. In the snow or cold weather that method is a real time saver.

I agree and after the animal is broken down would then start de-boing the quarters which would remove the hid except for evidence of sex, that stays. This has to be the fastest way though to get the meat cooling iniatially.

I have broken down a few cow moose with the evidence of sex requirement. I have become more intimate with their genitalia than I am comfortable admitting through the process! The bulls are pretty easy but leaving the lady parts has some challenges, especially when working in negative temps!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did anyone else notice the truck parked in the back ground. Just after he cuts the back strap out you can see the truck in the top middle of the screen. It is all of about 200 yards away, not what I would consider a pack out at all. I like Fred and it was a good video for those that don't use the gutless method.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
But just remember the point of the video :) not the truck in the background :)

Gutless is the only way to field dress! One thing great about this method is that the spine is left in the field, so it prevents the spread of CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) out of the area where the animal was taken. it ought to be taught on every fish and game website.

bounds

WKR
Wow that was fast. Pretty impressive that he was just using the small blade from a multi tool. He knows what he's doing.

Always good to watch other people do it, pick up one tip and you win. Never did see the pickup and I went back twice for whatever reason , pretty sure he drives a Grey Chevy ...good intentions on his part. The Elk 101 version is way more methodical, both good. Thanks for sharing