Best GPS Handheld for hunting?

cueva

FNG
Looking to get a handheld gps for overall and general hunting, budget maybe $1k? Was looking into the Garmin 67i. Would appreciate any opinions, thanks!

SO IL

FNG
I have a Garmin 64st. A lot cheaper than your $1k top end. I supplement with onx on my phone, but the handheld is truly waterproof, batteries can be replaced in the field, and is alot tougher than a phone and handier to kerp on a lanyard than a phone.

My suggestion would be a Garmin handeld that takes conventional batteries like a AA and has the screen size and features you need.

I'd really recommend using your phone with OnX and having a separate satellite messenger. I use a ZOLEO and have had to rely on it for SOS. Ended up saving my friend's life on an elk hunt so I won't use anything else.

Long Cut

WKR
Selling my Garmin Oregon 600 with OnX Elite Chip.
No longer do cool Western stuff with a family & all. It’s sat in my drawer for several years. Works great. PM for details.

Doesn’t eat up your phones batteries. Great for backcountry trips
Buck Thwacker is my Archery Talk UN
IMG_0075.jpeg

itsgobe

FNG
I'd really recommend using your phone with OnX and having a separate satellite messenger. I use a ZOLEO and have had to rely on it for SOS. Ended up saving my friend's life on an elk hunt so I won't use anything else.
Zoleo is what I will be purchasing! Originally was interested in the new Motorola unit, but doesn’t have as many features as the Zoleo or InReach.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
The current iPhones are unreal as far as gps goes. I wear a Garmin fenix 6 as a daily driver. I would imagine between these and an InReach would cover just about anything.

Use your phone with a program like On-X, Basemap, ... You'll save weight, have less to deal with and less items to recharge.

strongarm

FNG
@cueva Really depends on personal preference, where you intend to hunt, and how you're planning to use the device. I personally prefer a dedicated device and not being phone-dependent, especially on my off-grid Western hunts. I primarily use a map and compass to navigate and utilize the GPS as my "confirmer" and waypoint manager. I have both the Garmin 64st and the Garmin 66i. I've never had a problem with either and imagine the 67i will continue this trend. Both are tough as compared to a phone in adverse conditions and the beatings stuff can take on a hunt. And as a small bonus, you can operate them with gloves unlike with a phone screen (I've never had much luck even with "touchscreen compatible" gloves). These have positive, waterproof buttons that work easily when wearing gloves.

Acquisition for both is better than anticipated when in dark timber and heavy cover. I do like being able to upload satellite imagery which at times has proven useful for planning approaches and routes for days ahead. A downside of the 66i/67i is needing to also add a battery bank to your kit (or likely a larger one if one is already in your kit), whereas the 64st runs on traditional batteries. I really wish Garmin would have made the 66i/67i with replaceable batteries vs. rechargeable internal battery. I personally use Lithiums in the 64st, which last a majority...if not all...of a backcountry hunt. A set of backup Lithiums weigh almost nothing, whereas a higher capacity battery bank is much heavier. Plus, it's one more thing to fail.

InReach capacity is a good safety net for any device, but if your hunting area and style doesn't take you too far removed and you don't need InReach, as @SO IL noted the 64st can be found for a lot less money but is a perfectly capable unit that never let me down. I only have the 66i as I needed to add InReach to my quiver, but if not would still be using the 64st without hesitation.