best general purpose STEEL shot-size for combo of big & small ducks?

Dukhtr3

FNG
I only shoot #2s for everything from teal, mallards, geese and pheasant. Late season I switch to 3.5". Nothing drives me more nuts then half boxes of shells rolling around

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I use 3” 2s for everything from early teal to late season geese. Sometimes I switch to 3.5” 2s in the late season.

Also I like to buy my shells by the case. So I like using on size for everything.

I’ll run 3” BB for snow geese in the spring. Range is typically farther so a little more punch helps.

Last edited:

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I like #3's for mixture of ducks. Sometimes I use #4's if it is just wood ducks and #2's if geese are around

You guys must be a lot tougher than me!

2 3/4 #3s for ducks. Bought by the case because they are a bit harder to find. I shoot 2 3/4 SO much better than 3in shells..almost night and day. The ducks are just as dead and I don’t start getting a headache and flinching half way through the morning. This is with a fairly heavy sx2 auto loader..I can’t stand to shoot my 870 any more.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
30ish ducks shot so far this season, majority with steel 6's. a few 3's or 2's for 3rd shots. 50% blue wing teal, the rest a mix of 7 species big and small. I'll continue to use mostly 6's over water, especially when solo. As we start field hunting, I break out the 1's & 2's. I do use bismuth and tungsten here and there as well. 5 roosters so far this fall with 20 gauge hevi XII.

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot #2 steel for ducks and BBB for the big Canadians we get around here. Tom Roster has been doing research on the best shot size for different birds for years. After looking at the table I decided 2s would give me the best performance in a wide range of conditions. I also figure that I’d rather have a bigger hole, but less of them in a duck shot at close range as well as the energy at distance from a larger pellet.

1729793917823.jpeg

I shoot #2 steel for ducks and BBB for the big Canadians we get around here. Tom Roster has been doing research on the best shot size for different birds for years. After looking at the table I decided 2s would give me the best performance in a wide range of conditions. I also figure that I’d rather have a bigger hole, but less of them in a duck shot at close range as well as the energy at distance from a larger pellet.

View attachment 781246

This distance and best choke performance info was great information as well, thanks for this.