Best Ear Pro

7MMMAG

FNG
I need your guys recommendations. I have just decided to start using a brake and don’t want to further damage my ears. When hunting I typically do not wear ear pro due to not having the time to put them on. Having them on all the time limits what I can hear all the hours leading up to the minutes that count.

Welcome.

ear pro is essential IMO. I wont take a sho without them. Here are a couple of thoughts:

- foam plugs - easy to insert. Easy to loose. No active factor. Take a few seconds to expand so not great for quick shots
- non active insert plugs - I have used walker and sure fire a few others. I like the kind with multiple flanges and a thin lanyard. I wear them around my neck and insert before the shot . They are faster than foam.
- active, non electronic in ear. - these have baffles that filter high end sound. IMO they seem to offer less protection and the sound transmission varies. I like the idea but haven’t found a set I love. Hard surefire, decibullsand a couple others.
- In ear electronic - low end - I have limited experience here. I bought a pair of axil ones and have used them on a few hunts. About $100. They amplify sound and do blue tooth with my phone. Sound quality is OK. Blue tooth is fine. Wind noise sucks a bit. They had a litte bit of white noise. Honestly not sure how well they protect.
- in ear electronic high end - these go for $500 To $1000. They have to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. Many use earring aid batteries. Are not rechargable.
- muffs , non electronic - cheap, good protection, bulky, can interfere with rifle and shotgun stocks.
- muffs, electronic - cheap ones suck, high end ones have good sound quality but are $$$ and heavy.

So…for practice and range work I will usually use foam plugs AND my MSA Sordin muffs. The sordins were $$$ but they are durable and work.

for hunting I sometimes bring the sordins (turkey and water foul). Mostly I use plugs with a lanyard. I liked te axils this year and expect they will be my gateway to a set of custom in ear Plugs. FWIW all the semi pro and pro handgun shooters I know use custom in ear. The price is high, but compared to hearing aids they are cheap. Use plugs or you will need aids.

I need your guys recommendations. I have just decided to start using a brake and don’t want to further damage my ears. When hunting I typically do not wear ear pro due to not having the time to put them on. Having them on all the time limits what I can hear all the hours leading up to the minutes that count.
I also use a brake on all of my rifles, the best and fastest I’ve found is the foam band style. Cheap and get them in quickly with one hand. This is the brand I personally use.