Best CO Archery Mule Deer unit?

slim9300

WKR
Currently my partner and I have 4 points but someday when we have "max" points we are planning on going on a two week backcountry hunt to try and kill a pair of velvet giants. A trophy neither of us have ever had the opportunity to accomplish. Keep in mind we are non-residents and the tag quota will need to be factored in.

If you would rather not give your unit publicity I will gladly take your PM. :)

I was going to call Aron but I think he already talks on the phone more than his wife can stomach (not to mention the living on the mountain part). I don't want to be the last straw before the big D. ;)

Thanks guys!
-Conlan

bobhunts

WKR
If you are talking an archery hunt look at all of the units that have an early season rifle tag "above timberline". As bohntr said the Sangre de Christo mtns offer one of those great hunts with not a lot of competition due to the terrain. It is as steep and rugged as the Tetons in Wyoming. There are other units just as good. Look up your draw odds on Monster Muleys and you will see where you stand. There are some good hunts in the Sangre's a friend of mine did the early season rifle hunt last year packing in on horseback and he shot a really nice 180 class buck in velvet above timberline. He was pissed off that the buck kicked and ran down hill and ruined the velvet so he did the spray on stuff when he mounted it. I don't like fake velvet but each to there own. If you plan a hunt in one of those units you will have a better than average chance at a really good buck.Bob.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good ones other than the real popular ones if you get back and away you'll find good mulies almost everywhere.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
A guy once told me all ya have to do is throw a dart at a map of Co. and hit a unit with giant bucks.

JG358

WKR
A guy once told me all ya have to do is throw a dart at a map of Co. and hit a unit with giant bucks.

I been told the same thing by several people... now if I could just manage to kill one of those giant bucks LOL.

a3dhunter

WKR
I was in the sangre de christo's unit 86 this weekend and two Weeks ago scouting for someone else's mule deer hunt.
After covering three basins and many miles I have only seen seven bucks, and none of them would be above 160" when finished out of velvet. They will be lucky to hit 140".
If you plan on hunting there, take some rock climbing gear with you, it may be the only way to get to the next valley without going back to the bottom and starting over.
I would choose a unit along the continental divide.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just scout, you already have the points, in fact a few too many. Even if you get a max point unit, you won't do that well unless you know the area really well.

Most of us won't suggest units on the web, but a3d just nailed a huge swath of them in his last sentence. That's what I'd do.

I usually tell people:

Pull out a map of Colorado, close your eyes and drop your finger somewhere! I have seen some STUDS in the Sangres but mainly on private lands down in the hay fields. I have some buddies that have done GREAT in the Bosque Del Oso but later in the season once they are out of velvet (muzzleloader season). Last I checked with Monster Muleys 66, 67, 76 were some of the more coveted high country hunts for the archery season. It will be interesting to see what happens to point creep after this year since they dropped tag numbers in so many units for Mule Deer across the state.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Just scout, you already have the points, in fact a few too many. Even if you get a max point unit, you won't do that well unless you know the area really well.

Most of us won't suggest units on the web, but a3d just nailed a huge swath of them in his last sentence. That's what I'd do.

That's kind of sad that a unit that takes 5-8 years to draw wouldn't be considerably better (significantly more and larger deer) than a unit that takes 1-2 points for archery. My experience with elk has been very much the opposite. I was hoping to be back 5-10 miles (covering lots of ground during the day) and to see an average of 5-6 decent bucks a day (decent being 4x4 or better). On my average MT elk hunt we cover well over 100 miles in 10 days.

It sounds like I might want to look at an early rifle hunt and just save my points until I have 10+. Thanks for the help guys!

bohntr

WKR
I was in the sangre de christo's unit 86 this weekend and two Weeks ago scouting for someone else's mule deer hunt.
After covering three basins and many miles I have only seen seven bucks, and none of them would be above 160" when finished out of velvet. They will be lucky to hit 140".
If you plan on hunting there, take some rock climbing gear with you, it may be the only way to get to the next valley without going back to the bottom and starring over.
I would choose a unit along the continental divide.

There are MANY basins along that mountain range. Some prime habitat that one would think would be loaded with deer.......yet they are void. However, when you find "the" right basins (some little ones you wouldn't even consider :)), you'd think you were in deer heaven. Scouting like you're doing is the key. When you find the right couple of bowls, you'll be in for a good hunt. There are some quality bucks in that mountain range with good numbers.....and yes, it can get western in a couple of them when trying to navigate them.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Put in for the early season high country buck hunt:) OR a late season rut hunt, but you'll need a few more points for those.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
0utle