Best cartridge for coyote/hog hunting in a factory tikka? 243 1:8 or 223 1:8

Mjay6k

FNG
Just got a Pulsar Thermion Pro 2 XP 50 in a trade and I’m wondering what would be best suited for it? I figure the 243 in an 8 twist would make longer range shots more feasible but the 224 would be cheaper to practice with. Also, would a superlite, roughtech, or ctr/varmint make the most sense? I wouldn’t think I’d get more than a few shots off per stand but if anyone has insight on profiles for night hunting that would be welcome.

Thanks!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
there is a thread right below this one that is titled "what caliber do you like for predator/varmit hunting" i bet if you read through it u may get an idea of what most people like

OP
M

Mjay6k

FNG
there is a thread right below this one that is titled "what caliber do you like for predator/varmit hunting" i bet if you read through it u may get an idea of what most people like
I saw that one but it didn’t seem like many were including hogs in their preferences. I also plan to run a factory tikka chambering/twist/contours so my question is regarding those constraints. Maybe it is too specific and apologies if so. Thanks for the help

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking from shooting 20+ animals using a thermal a year for the past 6 years go with the 243. The 223 does not kill the larger hogs fast enough. Very easy to lose them in the thick brush once they get to running. I currently use a 6.5 Grendel on my AR NV set up and a Bolt 308 with my thermal. I shoot HSM reduced recoil loads

OP
M

Mjay6k

FNG
Thanks for the advice! What bolt gun contour are you running and do you find yourself taking more than 2-3 shots per “engagement”? Trying to decide on barrel contour. Thanks again!
Speaking from shooting 20+ animals using a thermal a year for the past 6 years go with the 243. The 223 does not kill the larger hogs fast enough. Very easy to lose them in the thick brush once they get to running. I currently use a 6.5 Grendel on my AR NV set up and a Bolt 308 with my thermal. I shoot HSM reduced recoil loads

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
The AR is medium contour and even suppressed the best you can hope for is 4 shots off. This is assuming you have open field and its safe to "go fast". The last two are normally running for cover.

The bolt gun is a Mossberg MVP patrol that I picked up in trade. Bedded and free floated the barrel and it shoots minute of hog easily. I would say the barrel is a med/heavy contour as it is only 16". I wanted the short barrel due to the can's. I honestly did not expect much from it as it came with a spray can camo finish and was clearly used HARD. I never ran a regular scope on it, just went direct to thermal and at 100 yrds with my very old pulsar I can keep 5 shots on one of the small handwarmers. I believe those are 2"x3". I keep most shots under 200 yrds as it is very difficult to judge distance at night. With the bolt the best I have gotten off is 3 rounds and that was 2 confirmed dead hogs and a limper. If I want quantity of hogs I go to a single shot encore running subsonics and get with in 75 yards. If you hit them in the ear you can keep shooting until someone squeals. I found that is the key to shoot a lot of them at one sitting. Wind in your favor and no noise. If any one of them does the alarm squeal they all run. I've shot 5 off a deer feeder at one sit using this method.

pirogue

WKR
I like the .243 for coyotes, with the 75 gr Vmax. For hogs, the strategy is making an ideally placed shot in order to let the hog run and get off my property before it dies. Did I say I hate hogs?

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
I do the same thing if they are on my place. Then tell the neighbor to look for buzzards so he doesn't catch the skull in his hay cutter. If they are on a place I have permission to hunt we are required to haul them off.
I've centered punched a few.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 9

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
This was in the trap from earlier this year. 22 standard velocity -sparrow suppressor- mama was one shot to the head and she was down, the little ones were almost jumping out the trap

Attachments

• IMG_8269[2164].jpg
    IMG_8269[2164].jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
M

Mjay6k

FNG
I like the .243 for coyotes, with the 75 gr Vmax. For hogs, the strategy is making an ideally placed shot in order to let the hog run and get off my property before it dies. Did I say I hate hogs?
Yeah not a fan of them either, unfortunately there are quite a few here in SC, especially on my lease. They won’t allow trapping however so I figured this is my best bet. There are some coyotes too but it’s hard to see them because of the timber density.

OP
M

Mjay6k

FNG
This was in the trap from earlier this year. 22 standard velocity -sparrow suppressor- mama was one shot to the head and she was down, the little ones were almost jumping out the trap
I was thinking I’d sit over any hog carcasses I shoot while deer hunting overnight to get some coyotes. You ever had success with that?

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking I’d sit over any hog carcasses I shoot while deer hunting overnight to get some coyotes. You ever had success with that?
You’ll get some use but maybe not first night. Pile all carcasses in same spot and put cameras on it. When they are coming consistently every night go sit.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Yotes pick up on cameras quickly. They need to be the no flash models. I’ve tied a carcass to a tree to keep them from grabbing it after the buzzards are done with it. Yotes came in once, gave it a tug and after realizing it was tied and never came back. All caught in camera.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
Yotes pick up on cameras quickly. They need to be the no flash models. I’ve tied a carcass to a tree to keep them from grabbing it after the buzzards are done with it. Yotes came in once, gave it a tug and after realizing it was tied and never came back. All caught in camera.
I’ve patterned a ton then killed them using cameras.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka 243win suppressed 16” running 88gr at 2980 or 69gr hammers at 3450 for hogs and 55gr BT at 3615 for coyotes with thermal. I’ve killed hogs with my 16” t3 223rem to but the 243 is better for obvious reasons

Yes, you need to be 100 yds or more back from the carcass on the down wind side. Get hid or sit really still or they will spot you. Popup blinds work really well for this. In SC, you won't have long. Buzzards will have it cleaned in 5 days or less. Coyotes will usually come the 2nd night, but some will come in the daylight too. I tie the carcass to a tree, bush or stake because they will try to drag in back in the brush to eat on it.

m0Ee9OG.jpg

rgsaZqH.jpg