Best broadhead for blood trails

OP
HunterHawk
Love the responses! And those are very nice bucks And timber!

I do love how sharp the Iron Wills are and have been wanting to try the wides as I havent yet!

Simmons are definitely hard to sharpen but I love how wide they are!

And I definitely agree the less impact you have on the animal...ie sharp broadhead/fix blade that zips through especially without hitting bone have shorter tracking jobs... mechanicals were awesome for pully bow but man would those deer take off when that mechanical hit them!

Everyone has about the same observations I have had with animals and shots and broadheads..

I was just curious If anyone had a clear winner but not looking like it.. im the same way.

As long as it shoots well, is sharp, and I'm confident with it I'm hunting with it. I have always had a pass through on big game except the elk but was very impressed the iron will at 35 yards broke through the opposite side shoulder blade!

Beendare

WKR
I like lower 1/3rd...but those heart shots can be erratic. If you stop the heart....blood pressure goes to Zero, so the only blood you get is what drips out.

It's rare but I've seen the no blood scenarios but most of the time they leave a great BT. I had one where 2 bull elk were fighting and I heart shot the one bull. He just stood there and was spurting pulsing blood out both side 6 feet plus- it was crazy...like one of those big squirt guns. He finally saw me [12y away!] after about 4-5 seconds, turned to run and was down in 20y.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
While I agree that shot placement is the single biggest factor, there are also variables that are just beyond our control and every blood trail is different.

These two bucks were as identical of shots as you could possibly get.

- Both 4-1/2 yr old bucks
- Both shot the 1st week of November
- Both bucks were alone and cruising for does.
- Both stopped for the shot on their own.
- Both shot between 10-12 yds away and broadside
- Both shots entered left side of the body and exited right side
- Both shot from the same height tree stand (Lone Wolf hang on with 4 sticks)
- Both shot with the same broad head, a shaving sharp VPA 1-1/4" 3 blade head
- Both complete pass throughs
- Shot placement, as you can see, was as near identical as you can get. Center of the heart

The first buck sprayed blood from the impact location to where he dropped 50 yds away. I had to walk to the side of the trail to keep from getting my boots and clothes covered in blood. Arrow was completely covered in blood.

The second buck didn't bleed a drop for 100 yds until he stopped, he then slowly walked another 50 yds before dropping. Arrow was almost completely clean with no blood on it.

ZKjgwx4.jpg

s3gv1UN.jpg

WW2777y.jpg

RCZAW18.jpg

fyBGYDU.jpg

All that being said, I like to play the odds and shoot the biggest cutting head I can confidently get a complete pass through with and make sure it will shave.
The similarity between your shot is remarkable. Great shooting!

I think your two scenarios are a great comparison between how different animals react to being shot when everything else is pretty constant. Thanks for sharing.