Best boots for ankle support

sjvcon

FNG
Well ... l have LOWAs and I like them a lot better than the Danners I used to wear. But to some extent it is always going to come down to you lacing them on and walking around. What is right for some may not be for others. Go somewhere that carries several top brands and try them all on. What feels best for you will be best for you.

Dpinheiro

FNG
Love my Crispi Legends as well. Always been prone to rolling my ankles. I know I would have several times on the mountain if not for the Crispi ABSS. Love them

Currently running Crispi Nevada but need to go up a size. I figure if I am buy a pair of boots, I might as well ask and see if there is anything else out there that I should consider. Ankle support is a must. Uninsured it a must. Please let me know if you have something worth considering or if I am going to get the same boot but up a size.
I have a bad ankle from a deer hunt I went on several years ago, so ankle support is by far my most important attribute when I buy boots now. I don’t agree that all the top boots out there have adequate ankle support. I’ve tried most of them and some I’ve relegated to work boots around my property because of insufficient ankle support. In fact the boots I was wearing when I destroyed my ankle was a pair of Hard scrabbles.

I have a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Extemes and they’re a good boot. Ankle support is decent but I have a pair of Zamberlan Mountain Treks and a pair of Schnees Granites and the ankle support is noticeably superior on both boots IMO.

So the Zamberlan and Schnees get my vote here.

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the Crispi run the guides, or the hunters...they are taller and the stability goes way up from 8" to 10" and more at 12". I have the Laponnia, Nevadas and Wildrocks.
Another one for Crispi Guides. I rolled my ankle last sept in Crispi Thors and switched to the Guides for the rest of the season. They provided great ankle support

madcalfe

WKR
kennetrek everstep orthopedic. pricey but probably offer the best ankle support due to the steel bars running up the boot. I'm on year 4 with them and no complaints. the only down side to kennetreks are the soles are a little soft and get chewed up in shale. Vibram soles would make this boot perfect.

UncleBone

WKR
Check out the crispi briskdal pro gtx. Got myself a pair. Switched from Kenetrek ME, and Im not looking back.

Lowg08

WKR
Well. I went with lathrop and sons elite hunter. Found used on here to try best decision ever. Especially since I got some new additions.

Attachments

• 066BE716-1557-4369-AC2A-520AF2030C91.jpeg
    066BE716-1557-4369-AC2A-520AF2030C91.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 15
OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will not argue the fact that the Crispi boots with ABS are fantastic for stability. I have never twisted my ankle in them once. With that said, my boots have developed a wrinkle in them on the side near my insole of the instep/arch. It tends to generate a beautiful Hotspot and I have to tape up if going more than 1.5 to 2 miles of true hiking (just walking around with no weight it seems to be ok till the 3 mile mark). The customer service is there but it is just OK. Not great.

I have spoken with Mendel boots and they have top notch customer service. I need to reach out to Kenetrek as I have not considered them as a buddy had a bad experience with there boots 10 years ago (things have changed since then and many of you seem to be very strong advocates.)

I think those 2 will be the ones I start with to see if one fits/feels better than the other and go from there.

Thanks for all the input and advice based on your experiences.

I have crappy ankles. If I look at a basketball court I roll one. Anyway most mountaineering boots have been decent ankle wise. I got a popular hunting brand/model last year and ended up having to wear ankle braces. I could barely walk after walking down a two track.

I don’t think it’s the actual ankle support either. I wear pull ons for work everyday. Lots of uneven ground. Zero ankle support and barely roll an ankle. I wear Bogs a lot hunting in the winter and again zero ankle issues. There is zero ankle support in them.

I think it has more to do with the sole/insole than it does how much ankle support it has. At least for me. I should get some custom orthotics to see if that changes anything.

I’ve worn Meindl for years with no issues. I’m due for a new pair this year. Everyday wear I usually wear some kind of Keen Hiking boot. I need something with a wide toe box and Keens are great for that. I might get my next pair of Meindl’s in wide.

Been using Kenetrek Mountain Extremes for 5 years. They have been quite a few miles and hunts and are holding up amazingly. They work for me and have great ankle support in nasty steep stuff.

Best hiking boots with ankle support

1) Oboz Bridger Mid B-Dry Hiking Boot
2) Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX
3) Vasque Breeze at MID Gore-Tex Hiking Boot
4) Salomon Quest Element Gore-Tex Hiking Boots