Best boot with BOA

travism38

FNG
Looking to retire my danners after 4 years. theyve started to leak and the lazy part of me is sick of lacing up boots bright and early.
Been very curious about the boa lacing and iv narrowed it down to the Hillman Alpha aerogel and the Zamberlan Lynx. Anyone have any experience with either one?
Any other recommendations?

I just had to replace the boa on my Lynx.

Overall I like them, but when the cable snaps it sucks. I tied it as best I could, tightened it up. Wouldn't have wanted to be packing and dealing with it.

Easy to have some backup laces, took about a week to get the replacement boa.

OP
travism38

travism38

FNG
I just had to replace the boa on my Lynx.

Overall I like them, but when the cable snaps it sucks. I tied it as best I could, tightened it up. Wouldn't have wanted to be packing and dealing with it.

Easy to have some backup laces, took about a week to get the replacement boa.
So the loops on the lynx are large enough for standard boot laces incase I had a boa quit on me mid hunt.?

So the loops on the lynx are large enough for standard boot laces incase I had a boa quit on me mid hunt.?

No. It's hard to even thread the cable back through.

I was saying with a regular pair of boots, it's easy to have backup laces. If anything happens to the boa cable, you kinda screwed.

I hadn't been paying attention to it, pulling the old cables out, they had wear, should have noticed it but I wasn't watching for it. Covering rubbed off and had bare metal exposed.

Which boot you go with will depend on your feet, personally Zamberlan fit my feet really well.

OP
travism38

travism38

FNG
No. It's hard to even thread the cable back through.

I was saying with a regular pair of boots, it's easy to have backup laces. If anything happens to the boa cable, you kinda screwed.

I hadn't been paying attention to it, pulling the old cables out, they had wear, should have noticed it but I wasn't watching for it. Covering rubbed off and had bare metal exposed.

Which boot you go with will depend on your feet, personally Zamberlan fit my feet really well.
Id like to try out the boas i may just end up purchasing a spare set of cables to keep in backpack.
Zamberlan I believe cabelas has so trying some on wouldn't be a problem but sourcing out some hillman's might be. I get alot of bottom of the heel pain and blisters with my danners so I definitely need to go another route.

Id like to try out the boas i may just end up purchasing a spare set of cables to keep in backpack.
Zamberlan I believe cabelas has so trying some on wouldn't be a problem but sourcing out some hillman's might be. I get alot of bottom of the heel pain and blisters with my danners so I definitely need to go another route.

To replace a cable, you replace about the hole BOA. The ratchet is a one time use thing it seems. And you need cable cutters to install a new set.

They have lifetime warranty, I contacted boa and they sent me stuff to replace both boots free of charge.

I really like how easy it is to tighten the boots up. Start going downhill with a pack, foot sliding a bit in boot, few clicks and go rather than re-lacing a boot. But it's more complicated than just laces.

OP
travism38

travism38

FNG
To replace a cable, you replace about the hole BOA. The ratchet is a one time use thing it seems. And you need cable cutters to install a new set.

They have lifetime warranty, I contacted boa and they sent me stuff to replace both boots free of charge.

I really like how easy it is to tighten the boots up. Start going downhill with a pack, foot sliding a bit in boot, few clicks and go rather than re-lacing a boot. But it's more complicated than just laces.
Nothing more annoying to me than trying to lace up in the dark or untying and retying just to slip them off for a few minutes to take a break. I appreciate the responses i think im gonna go and try on some Zamberlans this weekend.

Crusader

WKR
Are you sure you want boots with BOA? Check out this thread:

I know it's different footwear from boots but I have BOA on my road cycling shoes and it hasn't lasted well. Am about to have to replace them. I just don't think it's a long-lasting design/feature, especially for a hunting boot that will get hard use.

nobody

WKR
I replied to the thread that @Crusader linked above. The Hillmans are grossly overpriced, I would never recommend them.

I also wouldn’t recommend a BOA lace on hunting boots. Mine broke after about 50 days of wear. If the cable snaps on a packout you don’t have a way to field fix them, unless you’re gonna carry repair kits with you. Personally, I’ll continue to lace my boots up like a peasant, knowing the paracord in my pack can double as a repair lace if I need it to