Best backcountry spotting scope

Another vote for the Kowa 553/554. Spectacular optics in a 28oz package, at a great price point. Hold out for one of Doug's sales.

I might only use my 554 a couple of minutes all season, but I never head out without it sittin' on top, stage left in my pack.

Last edited:

Blue72

WKR
I had a Nikon ED50 with A 27x eyepiece. The optics was amazing. Could easily see critters over 4 miles away and see the rings on Saturn at night. There is a reason why people sing it’s praise across numerous birding, astronomy, and hunting forums. It’s crazy light with optics that WOW you.

plus you can get the scope and eyepiece from Japan for under $650 through Amazon or eBay

although the wide field 27x eyepiece was very impressive. If I had to do it all over again. I get the 20x eyepiece since it’s brighter, wider, and a little more comfortable using it handheld

I have a hunt in Sep with 3k elevation gain off trail as soon as I leave the truck! Like you I’m bringing my NL (12) and a 554 for this one! Leaving the heavy stuff at home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are you liking this setup? I got the 12x nls and looking at which spotter to get where inches arent to important, more so just confirming legality of a deer or elk