Best 10x42

Siggy111

FNG
If price plays role, find the best glass in that range. I am a big believer in finding the best glass you can offered. Swaro Pure or SLC are top notch. Meopta are very very good for the price. Find a bino that likes your eyes. Happy searching.

If you read these optics threads often, it's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Kowa Genny 10.5X44s that I've had about 4 years now. I recommend them every chance I get, along with the 8X33s. I recently got the chance to spend a good amount of time behind a pair of GPO Passion 10X42s that a friend bought about a month ago, and I will say that the image quality was brilliant and the materials and build quality were excellent. I would never part with my Gennys, but if I was looking for a new glass in the 10X42 range, I would give them very serious consideration... they are very nice!

I agree with others, in that, optics are very subjective in both image quality and ergonomics for each user. There is some spectacular glass out there that will punch right along with the alphas without the big name prices.

Siggy111

FNG
You are correct. GPO, for the money, are very good as well. I should have mentioned them. 👍

Siggy111

FNG
Blems are usually cosmetic, nothing wrong with the lens. I would call. Blems are a great option.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
I’d personally find a used Leica bn/ba/uv, Zeiss FL/ht, or Swaro slc/el on the used market.

manitou1

WKR
I am more than happy with the Meoptas Doug sold me.
I have used them extensively for a couple of seasons of scouting and hunting. I have also sat on plateaus glassing, side-by-side with a buddy swapping back and forth with his SLCs and have not walked away wanting to switch.
I think you will be happy with the Kowas, Meoptas, or SLCs for a LOOOONG time.

craigrh13

Lil-Rokslider
I mean. If money wasn’t an issue. I would probably go with Zeiss or Swaro. I love my Zeiss scopes.

Right now I am kind of partial to Maven though. Great product and small American company. It’s nice to support America when I can.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find an old pair Nikon Venturer LX, you’ll be very pleased. Gorgeous glass. I currently use the Kowa Genesis 10x33 and it’s very good glass also. No need to spend over a $1000 on quality binos if you’re not worried about the name on them. I’ve compared both of the above against the more popular alpha binos and I prefer the view through the Genesis and the Venturer. As mentioned in previous posts, other companies make great binos also.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt30, absolutely agree, forgot about the Nikon Venturer. It’s as good a glass as anything out today in terms of resolution, dof, and build quality. I’ve compared them with my SV’s, UVHD plus, SLC’s, and my Zeiss HT/fl’s and to this day their glass and build quality are awesome. Only lacking in apparent fov. It’s a shame they stoped making that binocular.

Usmcff

WKR
Your timing is perfect. We are running our Founder's Birthday Sale through Sunday August 15th

Kowa 10.5x44 Genesis

Meopta MeoPro Air 10x42 HDED+

GPO Passion HD 10x42's

Leica Trinovid 10x42

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to discuss this with you to assist you in deciding which is the correct option. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000
Will second the meopros, I have slc wbs and el Swarovisions and took some meopta airs in on trade. They were very much on par with the other 2 at a lot less money.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
My thoughts are buy the best pair of 10x42s you can buy. If you have a pair already, don't buy any until you have the cash to do it. Get what you want. Not what you can afford...right now. Maybe you have to wait another year. It's worth it.

In my opinion, the SLCs are light years ahead of anything new for $1000. To explain the difference between a few Vortex I've looked at and my swaros, would be like comparing the TV of the 90s to what available today.

But that's my opinion.

A store with a good optics counter will have a tripod set up and should let you take them outside to try them out.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Hi Marble - I was out this past weekend looking through some vortex fury 5000's. Fine glassing a south facing slope (though it was a constant battle with the focus) but I couldn't see a damn thing at 10am looking from a south facing slope to a north facing slope unless it was in the middle of a clearing. Granted it was very bright but the shadows were black so it would be impossible to see anything bedded down (where on a warm day you'd expect a large animal to hide). The low light performance, especially in the shadows, was pretty meh.

Anyway, since it sounds like you've lived in both worlds my question would be, was my discomfort and inability to see a product of looking at a bad time (like of course its bright maybe glass at a different time of day) or is that something that quality Euro glass would help clear up. Cheers.

Marble

WKR
Hi Marble - I was out this past weekend looking through some vortex fury 5000's. Fine glassing a south facing slope (though it was a constant battle with the focus) but I couldn't see a damn thing at 10am looking from a south facing slope to a north facing slope unless it was in the middle of a clearing. Granted it was very bright but the shadows were black so it would be impossible to see anything bedded down (where on a warm day you'd expect a large animal to hide). The low light performance, especially in the shadows, was pretty meh.

Anyway, since it sounds like you've lived in both worlds my question would be, was my discomfort and inability to see a product of looking at a bad time (like of course its bright maybe glass at a different time of day) or is that something that quality Euro glass would help clear up. Cheers.

It is a combination of several things.

Sun angle and time of day. If the sun is in a certain angle it's almost impossible to see. Staying in the truck and using it like a tunnel to get shade can help. Or pulling the sun shade on a spotter. Or best yet just change locations and angles.

The glass you are using for sure is probably the culprit. I am unfamiliar with exactly how Vortex does their range finding combos, but others put different coatings on the lens that change them from their premium level of glass for the range finding feature. I experienced this on the Leica range finder. My dad was dead set on getting the combination and I warned him. He's happy with them, but they are not nearly as clear or bright as my SLCs. Not even close. And this is because the glass is different. Someone probably knows more to explain. I don't know all of the technical stuff.

The combo binos are not for me. I prefer the smaller handheld range finders with a good pair of binos.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Usmcff

WKR
What is the FOV on the 10x42 Airs? Your site lists it at 341' at 1000 vs Meopta stating its 360' at 1000
Not sure on the exact fov but I had a pair of these in the 8x and I found them to be very good glass, like almost in the same quality as zeiss or swaro slc glass when comparing them side by side. I would definitely own another pair/ if I find a good enough deal used, pick them up as a back up/ truck pair of Binos.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I hunted with a fellow that had the Vortex Razor 10x binoculars. They were good, but he was disappointed in them.

I carry Swarovski binoculars, but if I was looking for a more budget friendly option it would be Meopta. I have looked at the Meopta side-by-side with my Swarovski's and they were excellent.