Berger Bullet Tip Clearing

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
How low have you tested them? Do you have a “minimum” you like to see?

The VLD and hunting bullets will generally deform to around 1,800fps, and give the expected violent and wide wounds down to 2,000’ish fps. The thick jacket OTM and target versions need 2,050’ish Fps to consistently upset, and perform well above that.

gelton

WKR
I think it's important to clarify which Bergers do what...their hunting rounds with thicker jackets behave a bit differently than say a 215 hybrid, hell even a 230 hybrid behaves a bit differently than a 215 hybrid.

Broz, who was a big part of popularizing hunting with 215 hybrids believes it is due to the longer bearing surface on the 230's which limits the dead space between the nose of the bullet and where the lead starts, which I believe is a bit longer on the 215's than the 230's.

Very similar concept to the Hornady ELDM vs ELDX but the reasoning for the Berger Hybrid vs the former is that the thin jacket actually performs better without a "ballistic tip" than with, at least that is one of the better researched educated guesses.

I went away from the Bergers for several years, one because they were hard to find and another because the good idea fairy said that high-velocity closer shots on elk sized game might do better with a bonded bullet like an accubond, but after a couple of seasons with results that weren't that spectacular on whitetail I am back to the Hybrids and life is good. Comparably, I have never seen more devastation on an animal than I have with the Hybrids.

SDHNTR

WKR
I think it's important to clarify which Bergers do what...their hunting rounds with thicker jackets behave a bit differently than say a 215 hybrid, hell even a 230 hybrid behaves a bit differently than a 215 hybrid.

Broz, who was a big part of popularizing hunting with 215 hybrids believes it is due to the longer bearing surface on the 230's which limits the dead space between the nose of the bullet and where the lead starts, which I believe is a bit longer on the 215's than the 230's.

Very similar concept to the Hornady ELDM vs ELDX but the reasoning for the Berger Hybrid vs the former is that the thin jacket actually performs better without a "ballistic tip" than with, at least that is one of the better researched educated guesses.

I went away from the Bergers for several years, one because they were hard to find and another because the good idea fairy said that high-velocity closer shots on elk sized game might do better with a bonded bullet like an accubond, but after a couple of seasons with results that weren't that spectacular on whitetail I am back to the Hybrids and life is good. Comparably, I have never seen more devastation on an animal than I have with the Hybrids.
The hunting bullets do not have thicker jackets. It’s the opposite, Target bullets do. That was a mind bender for me too when I first got into Bergers.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I got a jewelry hand drill on Amazon and drilled mine out. Most were already clear but probably 1:8 are not totally clear. It’s nice piece of mind.

My buddy borrowed my rifle over the weekend and used it with Berger bullets for the first time on game and we both loved the result. 2350fps impact velocity and the 215 Hybrid left an almost baseball sized exit hole. After traveling through a rib, lungs, and liver. He was dead on his feet. The deer went about 15 yards and piled up.

cjdewese

WKR
I didn't know that, but I do know you gotta pump 10-12 rounds of LR into a coon hanging off a telephone pole! Also, pheasant hunting with a 22lr was a challenge...
Can confirm that you need more than 1 LR shot to kill a racoon in a tree. Also learned as a young kid that after you put 3 in one, they will come down the tree right at you, then run across your yard and hide somewhere you can't get to them.

Never realized how tough they were until then.

Article 4

WKR
I began to "clear" and trim meplats some time ago. Use the Montour tool

The uniformity is a plus and where i have a few wildcat calibers that are tickling the end of the mag - trimming back the meplat just a bit has given me slightly better clearance which in the process warrants ensuring the hollow points are all uniform. I also believe anything that we do to make every bullet more alike is a good thing for uniformity and the clearing affect cannot be left out when thinking about ballistic performance

Hornady is going some pretty good testing on this through their DVRT development. They are getting some really good results in reductions in drag variability from bullet to bullet, especially at ELR ranges.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I began to "clear" and trim meplats some time ago. The uniformity is a plus and where i have a few wildcat calibers that are tickling the end of the mag - trimming back the meplat just a bit has given me slightly better clearance. I also believe anything that we do to make every bullet more alike is a good thing for uniformity and the clearing affect cannot be left out when thinking ab out ballistic performance

Hornady is going some pretty good testing on this through their DVRT development. They are getting some really good results in reductions in drag variability from bullet to bullet, especially at ELR ranges.
How do you trim it?