Bergara Carbon Barrels

z987k

WKR
Same thing I’m thinking.

Also, don’t forget a trigger if you go with the 700.

Also, who only charges $275 to chamber the barrel and put it all together? Are they gonna bed it too? That’ll be extra.

I’m thinking a full build will run you closer to $3k if not $3500 when it’s all said and done.

Also, that build will still be in that 7lb ballpark unless you decide to jump to a custom action.
You don't bed a chassis.

I'm putting a stainless tikka action with a custom barrel and chamber(barrel put on the action) on a xlr mg 4.0 chassis right now. All in for $2437.10 shipped. I went stainless steel barrel, because it's lighter, but carbon would have added $350.

Why you'd buy a factory rifle that you don't get to pick the chamber, twist rate, barrel length, etc for more, I have no idea.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
All that magnesium and carbon fiber and they can still barely get their guns under 7 pounds. If they put the guns they advertise as mountain rifles on a major diet I'd probably actually buy one.
I can't figure out where all the weight comes from in their rifles. The bolt & action must be over 3lbs.
The carbon stocks and thin steel barrels are still more weight than just about everything else in the class.

I like what they're doing overall, I can never justify the extra pound or more for the same money.

Their premier mountain 2.0 weighs 6.2-6.4lbs

How much less do you want it to weigh?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

For that price and use of materials, down in the low 5's. Other companies don't even have to use those materials to get lighter guns.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMB

ID_Matt

WKR
The bergara action is a 700 action, and I wouldn't compare it to one of the high end $1k plus actions.
What do you mean it’s a 700 action? Isn’t just about every custom action out there a 700 footprint? The bergara premier action is definitely a step up from a sloppy rem 700 in my opinion. I’m just saying If you are going to compare, needs to be apples to apples. Cf stock to xlr folding chassis is not comparable. Rem 700 w/stock trigger to their premier action with trigger tech - not comparable. Screwing on a prefit to a sloppy 700 is not a “custom” in my eyes, except you would get to choose your barrel length i guess.

tdhanses

WKR
For that price i hope it’s a stainless action. They are lacking in that with their current offerings in the US. I’d have a hard time going with this when there are so many options, if i’m spending $3k I’d build. I did a semi-custom using a stainless Howa action for $2100 with a McMillan stock, carbon six barrel and timney trigger.

For that price i hope it’s a stainless action. They are lacking in that with their current offerings in the US. I’d have a hard time going with this when there are so many options, if i’m spending $3k I’d build. I did a semi-custom using a stainless Howa action for $2100 with a McMillan stock, carbon six barrel and timney trigger.
Aren’t all of the premier actions cerakoted stainless?

bmicek

WKR
I keep waiting for Bergara to come out with something unique. I don’t know why, but I keep getting disappointed in their new releases. Usually a premium price for a rifle that weighs more than the competition and many times ends up being close to custom rifle price. They don’t do anything that makes them stand out from the competition. Customer service is good and accuracy is mostly good but I still can’t look at specs of their rifles and get excited for the price.

OMB

WKR
Their premier mountain 2.0 weighs 6.2-6.4lbs

How much less do you want it to weigh?

6 pounds flat would be a start, 5.5 would be better. They have competitors that offer that at around the same price on that pattern of action with the same accuracy so it's certainly doable.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Where do I get a carbon blank for that price?

X-Caliber, Preferred, CarbonSix, Bartlein barrels on RedHawk, etc.

**same type components

If you are going to be fair, compare apples to apples.
I should have specified since there's more than one carbon option being dropped, I was roughly comparing to the Divide PRC posted in the comments for $25-2,800. The Bergara action is just a 700 footprint with different threads, and they are just now producing carbon stocks and barrels. Industry debut vs AG Composites, Mesa Precision, CarbonSix, Bartlein.. I don't even think Bergara is in the carbon "apples" category yet.

Also, who only charges $275 to chamber the barrel and put it all together? Are they gonna bed it too? That’ll be extra.

I’m thinking a full build will run you closer to $3k if not $3500 when it’s all said and done.

Also, that build will still be in that 7lb ballpark unless you decide to jump to a custom action.
Kampfeld Customs will chamber, fit, crown, and engrave for $275. Devcon or JB weld is about $7, learning to bed your rifle is priceless. Even if a smith does it it's $80-120. I'm not saying it's not going to add up to the same cost if you go full custom, I'm saying spending the money on a rifle from a production manufacturer debuting a new product known to be temperamental when you can have it fully customized with a personal guarantee for the same price, doesn't make sense to me. My personal experience with factory Bergara action and steel barrel was negative, I don't even want to imagine how mad I'd be if I spent custom level money on a gun that didn't shoot..

ID_Matt

WKR
I should have specified since there's more than one carbon option being dropped, I was roughly comparing to the Divide PRC posted in the comments for $25-2,800. The Bergara action is just a 700 footprint with different threads, and they are just now producing carbon stocks and barrels. Industry debut vs AG Composites, Mesa Precision, CarbonSix, Bartlein.. I don't even think Bergara is in the carbon "apples" category yet.

The divide PRC that was posted has an AG Composites stock (adjustable chalk branch), not an industry debut made by Bergara. It retails for a bit over $750. I don't know why it keeps getting referenced that it is just a 700 footprint. Most custom actions are a 700 footprint - Defiance and Lone Peak as an example. A $1,700 LP Fuzion TI with integrated rail is "just a 700 footprint" ?? That bergara action is a substantial step up from a true remington 700 IMO.

OP
K

KSTiger

Lil-Rokslider
Not disagreeing, just trying to learn here. What makes the Bergara action (we talking B14 or Premier) a “substantial” step up from a Rem 700 action?

bobinmi

WKR
Not disagreeing, just trying to learn here. What makes the Bergara action (we talking B14 or Premier) a “substantial” step up from a Rem 700 action?
its actually square....... I kid, I kid

This is their premier action.
1. sako type extractor
2. Drilled for 8-40 screws (much more solid)
3. They come stock with a trigger-tech trigger
4. fluted bolt
5. 416 stainless receiver
6. larger ejection port
7. Floating bolt head

But I guess its basically a remington 700 action......

bobinmi

WKR
I could be wrong but i didn’t think so, I thought they weren’t importing any in.
all of the premier actions are 416 stainless that's been cerakoted. wildernesses are carbon steel with a cerakote, the standard b14 series is mostly blued.

OP
K

KSTiger

Lil-Rokslider
its actually square....... I kid, I kid

This is their premier action.
1. sako type extractor
2. Drilled for 8-40 screws (much more solid)
3. They come stock with a trigger-tech trigger
4. fluted bolt
5. 416 stainless receiver
6. larger ejection port
7. Floating bolt head

But I guess its basically a remington 700 action......
I could be wrong, but pretty sure it’s not a Sako style extractor. Looks Savage-esque to me.

TigerAG16

FNG
I have a Premier Highlander. It is a stainless action that has been cerakoted, same as the barrel. It also has a sliding plate extractor. I love this rifle and believe they offer similar performance as custom rigs that cost more.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
How are the actions? Are they as smooth a a Curtis or Defience? Also where can one go and hold one in New Jersey? I'm interested in a pro rifle with the Masterpiece Arms chase. Please advise.