Bergara B14 Hunter

Andrewdk

FNG
New to the forum, here to share my experience as I go with a new rifle.

After getting orders to Alaska this past spring, I started looking into adding a magnum caliber rifle to the safe. I decided on 300 win mag for availability and prior experience with one I owned years ago. My goal was to have a rifle that I am confident with out to 300 yards, cerakoted to protect the finish, and

My first 300WM rifle was a nightmare to shoot, and I don't think I ever managed to even get it zeroed due to lack of experience at the time.

I settled on Bergara and ordered a B14 hunter through my local shop, and also had them thread the barrel for a brake and install one as well to tame the recoil a little bit.

Out of the box, the rifle felt great in my hands. Ive handled bergaras over the Years but never fired them.

For optics, I chose to use my Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50 MOA scope. I picked this up years ago for a great price and I have yet to find another one as vortex discontinued them.

IMG_2773.jpeg

IMG_2775.jpeg

I mounted the glass on an EGW 1 piece scope mount, and Warne Mountaintech Medium height rings.

and off to the range...

I ordered several different loads of Federal Premium, and started with Trophy Bonded 165gr.

After using a wheeler laser to get the optic on paper, I fired my first 3 shot group at 100 yards to get a feel for the recoil and trigger.

IMG_3058.jpeg

Ive spent a lot of time over the last few years reading, researching and practicing dry fire to find out the right way to go about shooting at distance. I was thoroughly impressed with this group and decided to pack it in for that day.

Yesterday I went out again and pushed out to 200 yards, which is as far as I can get at my local gun club.

The berm at 200 is shaded in trees, so impacts were difficult to see on paper maxed out at 16 on the scope. I don't own a spotting scope yet, but its on my list of equipment I still need to buy.

IMG_3178.jpeg

Shooting off of a bipod and front and rear bags, I fired 4 rounds in 20 seconds at an extra target I had that I don't usually use.

IMG_3183.jpeg

Overall, I still have a lot to learn and more time to spend with this rifle. Im extremely happy with its performance so far. Once I get settled in Alaska Ill plan to take it out and shoot it in different positions rather than prone before I start hunting with it. The whole setup minus bipod comes in at just under 10 pounds, for a lighter rifle (compared to one of my precision rifles) it is extremely comfortable to shoot.

Norcal18

FNG
Looks good. I didn’t realize the newer Hunter models had the larger bolt knob. I might take a look at the model now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHanson

FNG
My Bergara 300WM loves the 190 Berger VLD. Bergara’s are sweet rifles.

kingsfoil

FNG
Also have the B14 Hunter with cerakote (30-06). Excellent fit and finish. It outshoots me with both Barnes TTSX 168 grain and Federal Trophy Copper 180 grain. The recoil is far less noticeable than on my 1917 Eddystone... Anyway, love the rifle and can't recommend enough.

kingsfoil

FNG
I was really torn between the 7-08 and the 30-06... I wanted to try the former but ended up going with the latter because of my prior investments in 30-06 ammo. The all copper stuff (I'm in CA) isn't cheap.

03mossy

WKR
Nice shooting!
I have the wilderness hunter in 300 win mag. Love it. I shoot Barnes TSX 180’s with great results.

OP
Andrewdk

Andrewdk

FNG
Nice shooting!
I have the wilderness hunter in 300 win mag. Love it. I shoot Barnes TSX 180’s with great results.
I just picked up some barnes to run through mine, I’d like to get to rolling my own loads as well.

Ended up pushing this rifle out to 500 yds with a first shot impact on steel.