Bergara b14 hunter problem

Hey all,

Random question of something I just ran into that I never have. Pulled my b14 hunter 6.5 out of the gun safe this week and went to go double check zero. Last year it was shooting about 3/4" moa with Barnes TTSX. Killed a deer with it also in January.

Upon shooting it, it was shooting like a scatter gun. Nothing consistent or even close too. Double checked all of my screws on the rings and stock. Good.

Decided after shooting about 30 rounds that it was time to try a new scope. Got a new leupold vx freedom 6.5 creedmoor today and mounted it. Finally got it to shoot somewhat consistent but then it would start throwing bullet everywhere again. Like put two touching where it's sighted in for and the next 3 would be 3 inches to the left and up. Gun was sighted in for about 1.5" high at 100. Picture shows the scatter. Some would hit where it's aiming some would not. I even went and bought a different lot # for bullets and had the same problem.

My next option is cleaning the barrel again and checking the crown. Anyone ever run into this?

Attachments

• IMG_1468.jpeg
    IMG_1468.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 24

LaHunter

WKR
Exactly what type of scope mounting system ( brand name too) do you have? Pic rail type or other?
What torque values are you using at each mounting point?
What are your action screws torqued to? Not sure what the Bergara spec is for action screws.
What was the original scope? The replacement scope is not a 'standard' that I would rely on. It could be part of your issue also.
Total round count down barrel? Or best estimate?

SloppyJ

WKR
What was your break in process like and how often have you cleaned it? My model 70 is a straight copper mine. How many rounds did you put down it last year before putting it up and was it the same lot of ammo you used this year?

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I have two Bergara’s and they are very accurate but finicky. I clean the barrel after 20-30 rounds and after 2-3 shots I wait 15 minutes for the barrel to cool. If I follow those two things I can get great results every time.

OP
Trey Arentz
Exactly what type of scope mounting system ( brand name too) do you have? Pic rail type or other?
What torque values are you using at each mounting point?
What are your action screws torqued to? Not sure what the Bergara spec is for action screws.
What was the original scope? The replacement scope is not a 'standard' that I would rely on. It could be part of your issue also.
Total round count down barrel? Or best estimate?
Attached are the mounts. Haven't actually torqued them to spec but never over tighter. Thought that was the problem with the last scope. The original scope is a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 that's probably 15 years old. Been through a couple different rifles. Total round count is 200 or less

Attachments

• IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
Trey Arentz
What was your break in process like and how often have you cleaned it? My model 70 is a straight copper mine. How many rounds did you put down it last year before putting it up and was it the same lot of ammo you used this year?
Didn't actually do any break in process. I just cleaned the factory barrel out, cleaned it up, and started shooting. It's always shot sub MOA groups no matter what I put down it. Usually it keeps the groups 3/4" or less. That's why this is so crazy. Started with the same lot and went and bought a new lot thinking it was the ammo. Total cleans have been 3 I would say.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a big believer in any kind of formal break in process. Just shoot it and clean after shooting the first few times works for me. Are you by chance shooting monometals? I find with Barnes bullets, I have to clean with copper solvent every 30 rounds or so. Otherwise my groups open up

LaHunter

WKR
Your scope(s) and mounting system are suspect. I can't tell if you have small pic rail type bases at the front and rear in your photos. I prefer a full pic rail with quality pic rail type rings. I prefer the ones from Nightforce, but they may be more $$ than you want to drop on a pic rail and rings, but you can be confident they will keep your optic secure on your rifle if torqued to the recommended specs.

Vern400

WKR
Clean it completely and bore scope it. Try again.

I had one rifle that took over 200 rounds to quit copper fouling. Now I can get 40 to 50 rounds before I see copper near the muzzle. It shot multiple sub inch 5:shot groups from about shots 3 to about 20 and then started opening up.
It is a savage 223 varmint gun.

Improper action torque and lack of free float can throw shots around too. Check float on a bag with a pound or two of downforce on the scope (flimsy stock syndrome). I use a dollar bill but in 2023 I think you have to use a $5 :) Grounding out the barrel makes my 308 throw way high. Like 4 in! I found that out shooting off a fencepost without my hand under the forearm.

Good luck!

OP
Trey Arentz
Your scope(s) and mounting system are suspect. I can't tell if you have small pic rail type bases at the front and rear in your photos. I prefer a full pic rail with quality pic rail type rings. I prefer the ones from Nightforce, but they may be more $$ than you want to drop on a pic rail and rings, but you can be confident they will keep your optic secure on your rifle if torqued to the recommended specs.
I will fully clean and try that next!

2ski

WKR
Didn't actually do any break in process. I just cleaned the factory barrel out, cleaned it up, and started shooting. It's always shot sub MOA groups no matter what I put down it. Usually it keeps the groups 3/4" or less. That's why this is so crazy. Started with the same lot and went and bought a new lot thinking it was the ammo. Total cleans have been 3 I would say.
I cleaned my Bergara like 15 times in the first 50 shots per their break in suggestions.

OP
Trey Arentz
I will definitely be trying a new set of rings. Weird that they have been fine for 15+ years.

I also have a B-14 in 308 that did the same thing. It was shooting sub MOA last year and this year I couldn’t get better than 2.5moa and it is consistently shooting 3 inch groups at 100 yards. I have tried, 2 different rings, 2 scopes, copper cleaning (barely had any), retorquing every screw to spec and new ammo. Nothing made a difference. I think I will take it to a smith and have the barrel torque checked. Not sure what else it could be. It is a sweet rifle and was my favorite until this year. Only have about 150 rounds through mine. If I find a fix for mine, I will let you know.

OP
Trey Arentz
I also have a B-14 in 308 that did the same thing. It was shooting sub MOA last year and this year I couldn’t get better than 2.5moa and it is consistently shooting 3 inch groups at 100 yards. I have tried, 2 different rings, 2 scopes, copper cleaning (barely had any), retorquing every screw to spec and new ammo. Nothing made a difference. I think I will take it to a smith and have the barrel torque checked. Not sure what else it could be. It is a sweet rifle and was my favorite until this year. Only have about 150 rounds through mine. If I find a fix for mine, I will let you know.
Keep me posted! Exactly what has happened to mine.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know how this turns out. I have 3 Bergara SP’s One with 250+ and the other two sub 50 rounds so I am curious