Benelli $$$$$$

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
I own 4 benelli shotguns and other manufactures shotguns. I’ve killed many long beards with other shotguns but for the last 25 years I’ve only shot my benelli nova 3.5 mag. Price is much less than the SBE models. It is a pump though. If you match your choke and shot correctly it only takes 1 shot. I have M1 super 90, SBE, SBE2 but their my wing shooting guns not turkey. Something to consider since you mentioned turkey gun. If it’s multi purpose then you might want to consider the SBE models or manufacturers that fit you the best. No issues with my benelli models.

Yeah I don’t want a pump, I want a 12ga semi, looking for a multi species, but it’s first bird will be a Turkey. I am a new hunter, and I killed my first turkey with my mossberg 5500 2 3/4 12GA and want a multi species high quality shotgun. The SBE3 3.5 is what I’m leaning to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
I am going to be chasing turkeys, so I am not looking at the sbe2 or anything with the Benelli “click”. I can’t have that in the turkey woods.
The infamous Benelli 'click' is much exaggerated. I've had mine do it once in 15 years. It's because I was chamber checking the round and didn't get it back into battery. 100% user induced error.

Let the bolt clack home from the hold open latch and don't even think about it again.

WRM

WKR
The infamous Benelli 'click' is much exaggerated. I've had mine do it once in 15 years. It's because I was chamber checking the round and didn't get it back into battery. 100% user induced error.

Let the bolt clack home from the hold open latch and don't even think about it again.

What he said. I didn't even know what the "click" was, until I decided from reading here it must be click followed by no bang. Had my M1 over 20 years. Bolt has to be fully home. All you need to know to get the boom. And I lightened my recoil spring to spit low brass out. Doesn't affect its cycling full throttle loads one whit.

I hunt turkeys 25+ days a year and I have yet to shoot one with my M1 and have it turn and say: You shoulda shot me with a 3.5 shell. Federal 3rd degree makes short work of any argument from a bird out to about 50 yards. Any further, and your just shooting at a bird that happened to walk in your general vicinity. Dudes keep blasting away at birds at 80-100 yards and they are going to start hanging up in a different zip code.

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG

Oh good to know, thanks for the clarity!

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
How do the stoegers compare to the SBE3?

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure I will offend the Benelli crowd but I strongly prefer gas operated autoloaders to any inertia shotguns. I prefer Browning or Winchester (they use the same gas system) followed by Remington. The only downside is having to clean the carbon buildup periodically and keep them oiled. There is a noticeable difference in the recoil between gas vs inertia shotgun. My opinion is the inertia reliability is a fallacy, as they are the guns I have seen the highest failures to feed from. Especially when dirty. 3" usually pattern better than 3.5". Not worth the expense, recoil, or the inferior patterns to shoot 3.5". I see no upside to them. Stoegers are garbage.

Last edited:
OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
I'm sure I will offend the Benelli crowd but I strongly prefer gas operated autoloaders to any inertia shotguns. I prefer Browning or Winchester (they use the same gas system) followed by Remington. The only downside is having to clean the carbon buildup periodically and keep them oiled. There is a noticeable difference in the recoil between gas vs inertia shotgun. My opinion is the inertia reliability is a fallacy, as they are the guns I have seen the highest failures to feed from. Especially when dirty. 3" usually pattern better than 3.5". Not worth the expense, recoil, or the inferior patterns to shoot 3.5". I see no upside to them. Stoegers are garbage.

I was watching a video on a guy sighting in his mossberg and he shot 3 and 3.5 and the 3.5 had a better pattern, he was shooting long beard XR.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
Most likely a marketing video? In practice most will migrate back to 3" unless they have a very low round count. FYI out of the last 4 Mossberg's I have patterned not one patterned close to where it should if you are looking straight down the rib. I actually had one that patterned 100% low. That is not one pellet in the pattern above the barrel where you can see at 35 yards.

Last edited:

Wags

WKR

I agree with most of this. Gas guns are definitely softer recoiling. I don’t care what Benelli says that gun kicks harder than a Browning.

The reliability is equal. I’ve only had a handful of mis feeds over the years. Surprisingly from my SBE3. My SBE 2 has been pretty flawless in that regard. All my buddies hunt has guns and I’d say they have a few more over the life of the gun but not much of a difference. All guns will fail occasionally.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
I was watching a video on a guy sighting in his mossberg and he shot 3 and 3.5 and the 3.5 had a better pattern, he was shooting long beard XR.

What model Mossy were they shooting?

The Mossberg 835 & 935 will typically pattern better because of their bore diameter.

My Turkey gun is an old Mossberg 835 with an Indian Creek choke. The patterns are simply amazing.

I tried a 935 when they came out. I’m a lefty and liked the tang safety. But it was pure junk as far as reliability was concerned. I off loaded it as fast as I could.

Slugz

WKR
Apples to Oranges … the quality isn’t there. I’ve seen some that performed fine. I’ve also seen some that spent more time broken that operating.

Feel free to ask me all things Stoeger. :)

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
Most likely a marketing video? In practice most will migrate back to 3" unless they have a very low round count. FYI out of the last 4 Mossberg's I have patterned not one patterned close to where it should if you are looking straight down the rib. I actually had one that patterned 100% low. That is not one pellet in the pattern above the barrel where you can see at 35 yards.

Here’s the link for the video:

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
What model Mossy were they shooting?

The Mossberg 835 & 935 will typically pattern better because of their bore diameter.

My Turkey gun is an old Mossberg 835 with an Indian Creek choke. The patterns are simply amazing.

I tried a 935 when they came out. I’m a lefty and liked the tang safety. But it was pure junk as far as reliability was concerned. I off loaded it as fast as I could.

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
What Turkey loads have you guys found to be best with the SBE3?

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
No one can tell you which box of shells are going to pattern best out of your gun/choke. His comment starting at 22:50 in the video is spot on. What is important is pattern density at the core of the pattern and having that pattern centered on the target. Extra shot spraying all over feet from the target isn't helping you. Two identical guns and chokes will not have matching patterns and the variation in patterns shot to shot from the same gun would surprise most people. As a general rule as your shot column becomes longer you have more deformed shot that doesn't stay in the core of the pattern. Very hard shot helps to combat this but it adds cost. Cost of the ammo, gun, or choke doesn't always equal quality patterns.

2ski

WKR
I’m trying to be kind to my fellow Benelli shooters, but there is shorting a high pattern (60/40) and SBE3 high (90/10). I like to float the bird, too. From what I read, the SBE3 is especially high.

My M2 is slightly higher than POA and it gives a perfect mount and perfect shot picture for ME. You owe it to yourself to try them both for YOU before spending that. I would recommend getting your hands on an SBE3 and trying it out before you buy it. Maybe even a Rockslider near you has one you can try.

Since you asked about weaknesses, some people make a big deal about the “Benelli click”. There’s a sports writer in Illinois that makes a lot of noise about that as he shills for Retay. I personally think it is over rated, and I have never experienced the problem in either of my Montefeltros or my M2.

So I'm on my first bird dog and am planning to have a lot of miles carrying a shotgun. I have an 870 now and want to go nicer and lighter. Was looking Affinity or Benelli. I love the look of the SB3, but the Montefeltro or M2 I think would be more to my needs. What do you like better of the 2 Benellis? What's the difference between the two Benellis?

I’m a life long waterfowler with lots of time spent in the field and amongst duck camps.

1st off, the gun has to fit you well, no level of quality craftsmanship or reliability will make up for an improper fit/feel. Adjustable drop/cast can help with that.

that being said I am a life long beretta guy, bought my first al390 used as soon I could afford one. I recommend pretty much every auto loader in their line. I’ve had AL390, AL391, Extrema 2 and now A400. All have been soft shooting and reliable. As a gas gun they are gonna be a bit heavier than a Benelli but for waterfowling that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Just my 2 cents……

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
No one can tell you which box of shells are going to pattern best out of your gun/choke. His comment starting at 22:50 in the video is spot on. What is important is pattern density at the core of the pattern and having that pattern centered on the target. Extra shot spraying all over feet from the target isn't helping you. Two identical guns and chokes will not have matching patterns and the variation in patterns shot to shot from the same gun would surprise most people. As a general rule as your shot column becomes longer you have more deformed shot that doesn't stay in the core of the pattern. Very hard shot helps to combat this but it adds cost. Cost of the ammo, gun, or choke doesn't always equal quality patterns.

Yeah it’s all about your gun, choke, ammo, sight, two guns are never going to pattern the same

WRM

WKR
What Turkey loads have you guys found to be best with the SBE3?

I wanted to shoot Federal 3rd degree. Much cheaper than full tungsten and you get the side benefits of two other types of shot. After I decided that, I found a choke that shoots it well. I then bought enough of it on sale after the season to probably last me the rest of my life.

In other words, choose your shell then get a choke. The gun will tell you when its ready to shoot that load as you try chokes. It helps if you start with a choke known to shoot that load well.

Last edited: