Benelli Ultralight Semi-Auto--thoughts on this shotgun?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been shopping for an over/under 28 gauge shotgun for a while now and have been more serious of late. I went to a local gun store recently looking for said over/under and happened to see and hold a Benelli Ultralight in 28 gauge. I don't own any semi-auto shotguns and haven't for quite some time.

I really liked the Benelli Ultralight even though it was not on my radar at all. It is crazy light but in a 28 gauge I don't see it as a problem.

Anyone personally familiar with this gun in a smaller gauge like a 20 or 28? I realize this can be a highly subjective thing -looking for opinions from those that own this gun or have shot it a few times.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Fantastic gun a buddy of mine owns and I took it through a field this fall and kill 3 roosters with 3 shots I promptly switched back to my Weatherby over/under I've shot for over 40 years. I would be done hunting too early with that gun I need to miss a few with my O/U. I guess I'm just an over and under kind of guy. It shot well for me it was a 20 gauge.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys-good to hear positive comments. It is really lightweight-lighter than I expected it to be by a lot.

Macintosh

WKR
Im a fan of those guns especially in 12ga. Id rather buy or load 1oz or 7/8oz 12ga than drop to a gun that is too light for my taste, regardless of gauge I dont want my gun less than 6lb or so, and even that is exceptionally light to shoot well. I dont own one but a good friend has one that cycles light loads fine. That said, those that like these seem to love them, so if it suits you would not hesitate.

RS3579

WKR
I’ve been looking at this model also. 12 gauge They also have another more fancy model Montefeltro Silver Featherweight. It’s available in 12 & 20 gauge. Seems to be a great shotgun.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm trying to self- justify buying this in a 20 gauge and continuing the hunt for an O/U 28.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
What do you plan to use it for? They are good guns and I kill a lot of ducks with mine. But, my Montefeltro 20 ga is just as light and a dream to carry around for upland and the ammo is a LOT cheaper.

Buzby

WKR
They’re a great semi auto. But they’re not a replacement for a quality double barrel!

Big Benelli fan. Been shooting a pair of 12 ga m2s for a long time. I briefly considerEd an ultralight 28 but went 20 gauge When I was looking for something softer than my old 12s. Sounds like you are set on 28, but the extra cost and lack of ammo availability turned me to 20, especially in an auto loader that will tone the recoil down quite a bit with the extra mass and cycling the action.

hodgeman

WKR
Thanks guys-good to hear positive comments. It is really lightweight-lighter than I expected it to be by a lot.
If I recall, the 28 UL is pretty much 5lbs on the nose. It points almost effortlessly for quick shots at grouse and recoil is negligible. It was a little outclassed on sharp-tails, but in my area they were super spooky and flushing way out. For anything that'll hang tight, it's a hoot.

There are some newer 28 ammo options with tungsten that I didn't have that will supposedly take the 28 into duck and pheasant territory.

I do know I really liked the weight (or lack of) since my grouse hunting rambles on foot and usually 5-8 miles per day.

Gen273

WKR
I have one in a 12ga, and it's my favorite shotgun from the dozens I have owned.

borden811

FNG
I’ve got one in 12ga, and it’s my go to if I need a 12ga for the grouse/pheasant hunting I’m doing. I shoot a customized m2 for turkeys, and a SBE II for waterfowl. So I guess I’m kind of partial to benellis, but I don’t think you can go wrong with one.

Choupique

WKR
I REALLY like my UL 12ga a whole whole lot. It's a good looking shotgun, kills birds good, carries GREAT. It's a reap dream to carry, can't overstate that.

In hindsight though, I wish I had gotten an M2. Right now I'm wanting a slug gun, and slug barrels aren't available for the ultralight. There's also some rumblings of carbon fiber ribs coming loose.

I have both the 12ga and the 20ga. I liked the 12ga so much that when a 20ga came up for sale locally I bought it also in hopes that my kids will eventually use it. Seems that my dad might adopt it until kids are ready because he likes it better than his 12ga UL.

I picked up a Benelli SBE3 28 gauge last summer. It’s a sweet little gun, but I quickly figured out it was patterning almost 100% high after several trips to the range and patterning board. When shouldered I could see LOTS of rib. All my other SBEs leave me looking down a flat rib. Shims weren’t enough to correct the problem. I contacted Benelli and explained the issue. The gentleman I spoke with didn’t seem surprised and quickly arranged to have the gun shipped back. It’s my understanding this is a known problem. They had the gun back to me in three weeks. It now points and shoots like every other Benelli I own. I shot this 28 gauge loaded with 5/8 oz. #9 TSS exclusively last season for pheasants, ducks, and geese…..impressive! Mine obviously is a different model but thought this might be something you would want to be aware of.

Braaap

WKR
I picked up a Benelli SBE3 28 gauge last summer. It’s a sweet little gun, but I quickly figured out it was patterning almost 100% high after several trips to the range and patterning board. When shouldered I could see LOTS of rib. All my other SBEs leave me looking down a flat rib. Shims weren’t enough to correct the problem. I contacted Benelli and explained the issue. The gentleman I spoke with didn’t seem surprised and quickly arranged to have the gun shipped back. It’s my understanding this is a known problem. They had the gun back to me in three weeks. It now points and shoots like every other Benelli I own. I shot this 28 gauge loaded with 5/8 oz. #9 TSS exclusively last season for pheasants, ducks, and geese…..impressive! Mine obviously is a different model but thought this might be something you would want to be aware of.
What did Benelli change on your gun?

What did Benelli change on your gun?
I will add that originally the shotgun would shoot where it was aimed, but not where I was looking. I reached out to Rob Roberts and a couple other gun fitters about the problem before sending it to Benelli . They said that the POI could be adjusted on the 12 gauge SBE3 with the barrel stop ring on the magazine tube. Unfortunately, the 28 and the 20 gauge do not have a barrel stop ring. The 28 and the 20 would have to be adjusted with shims.

Well, the gun came back to me with the shim in it that I sent it with and there was no explanation of what work was done. I can see where no other alterations were made. So, to answer your question, I don’t know what they did. Swapped the barrel maybe.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, most high POI's can be adjusted with shimming and if that doesn't bring it all the way down, an aftermarket Hi-Viz sight. Many of these sights sit higher on the rib than the normal bead and will bring your POI down.