Benchmade Steep Country

Anybody use this knife? I’ve read terrible things about the sheath so mostly wondering if you’ve purchased one recently, have you had any issues? Thanks

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
One of my favorite knives when cutting on animals. I have a lot of customs but reach for it more often than not. I love the size/blade shape and keeps an edge well, sheath is absolute garbage. Order a replacement.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
One of my favorite knives when cutting on animals. I have a lot of customs but reach for it more often than not. I love the size/blade shape and keeps an edge well, sheath is absolute garbage. Order a replacement.
Where do you recommend for a good replacement Kydex sheath?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Where do you recommend for a good replacement Kydex sheath?
I had a local guy make one so cannot speak to any of the others, but a quick google shows several companies. I’ve heard people recommend the Cleveland Kydex before as woods mentioned.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My buddy likes his. I had a hidden canyon that I also liked.

I just don’t think you can beat a havalon though. It isn’t hard to get through an animal without breaking a blade if you don’t try and pry with it.

Took a couple benchmades and an Outdoor Edge 5” bone whatever replaceable blade knife to AK. Ended up processing two moose entirely with the outdoor edge. Used a total of 4 blades to skin and quarter and another 2 blades to cut and wrap meat.

Thats my first experience with a replaceable blade knife and never in a million years would I have thought I would like it as much as I did.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Knife is great. Sheath is garbage.

Really disappointing for a company like Benchmade to get everything right with the knife and then throw in such a worthless sheath with it.

OP
coloyooper
My buddy likes his. I had a hidden canyon that I also liked.

I just don’t think you can beat a havalon though. It isn’t hard to get through an animal without breaking a blade if you don’t try and pry with it.
Just let me hoe out on new gear Ryder!

ID_Matt

WKR
I have had the older version with the gut hook for about 5 years now. Probably processed 15-20 animals. I love it. It stays sharp for a whole elk if you are careful and is easy to sharpen with a hand sharpener. Grip is good and doesn't slip. I love the blade shape. Never thought I was much of a gut hook guy until I started using one. It works best going down the legs - zips right down them with minimal effort. I keep forgetting to send it to benchmade to get sharpened every year so I just use my worksharp belt sharpener and can get it shaving sharp. The sheath isn't that impressive, but it works. I keep telling myself I am going to get one of the new fancier steel blades but talk myself out of it because this one works so well. Hoping my kid will be using it here in a few years and then I can upgrade!

OP
coloyooper
@coloyooper what part of CO?

If that's the knife and sheath you guys are talking about, the sheath can be remolded easily.
Castle Rock. That’s great to know!
Sorry you’re right. They’re great! LOL!!! 😜

You should buy a 200 dollar pair of kuiu pants too!
there are benefits to rescuing cats from trees 😉

Last edited:

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of buying another sheath, I formed some kydex and made a mounting plate for the existing sheath. Then added a clip.

Let me know if anyone is interested in one.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 58

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have 2 of them, one is the older design which I got right as they were phasing them out and the other is the current model. The original one is still pretty sharp after dealing with 3 moose and a bear.

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought this knife and used it on 3 Antelope this last weekend I love it! It stays in my pack until it’s needed so the sheath really doesn’t bother me too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatty

WKR
Very happy with mine (newer model) and i've had no issues with the sheath. It lives in the top lid of my pack however, so i'm not asking much of a sheath. Worked great on 4 animals so far.

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys use for field sharpening? I’m not happy with what I’ve been using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk