Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner for Elk

Love mine. Got 10% off from an outfit in Northern CA, I’ll see if I can find the code if you’d like.

Got through an entire elk without needing to resharpen, and I like the size compared to the hidden canyon.

Only problem is the leather sheath from reviews I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have read some reviews were the person complained about the leather getting cut taking the knife in and out. If they would remove and insert the knife with the back of the blade against the sheath no problem, I have multiple leather sheaths no cuts in them

I used one last year on a coastal brown bear and a bull moose back to back about 3 hours apart, no sharpening between.

It worked great, good choice for an elk.

I use the gut hook version of this knife, excellent choice, it’s the only knife I’ve ever used that will break down an elk without needing sharpened through the process. The gut hook is very handy,

I carry a benchmade mini grip daily. I have often thought of purchasing a saddle mountain hunter. I like the looks of them and they are made in the U.S.A.

I havent used mine on elk yet but I have broken down 3 whitetail with it. Rips through sternums like butter. Was gonna send back to Benchmark for sharpening but it still shaves. Hooked on Benchmark now!!

I have a saddle mountain skinner and used it 100% on 5 whitetails last year and it’s still really sharp. Taking it elk hunting this fall so I sent it back to benchmade to get a fresh edge on it. I have the s90v non gut hook model. I wish they made the gut hook in s90v but they don’t. I also carry a meat crafter for boning.

Bought one and used it on two deer this year but no elk yet. I’m in love with this knife and would totally recommend it!

I've had one for several years. I've used it on a few elk that friends shot, a moose, and a few dozen deer. I just sent it back to be sharpened but honestly it didn't really need it. Prior to this sharpening I can't recall when I last sharpened it. I cut all sorts of animals with it with no pronounced decrease in performance. Great knife.

To me the saddle mountain skinner is too big. I have a steep country and a hidden canyon and bought one of my boys a hidden canyon. I really enjoy the hidden canyon but have only used it on one elk and a couple deer. I have broken down 6 mature bulls and a few cows with the steep country and it has been awesome. My next knife will be a S90V hidden canyon.

I think the saddle mountain would be a great butchering knife but I like shorter blades for quartering and skinning, you can be more precise with a smaller knife.

To me the saddle mountain skinner is too big. I have a steep country and a hidden canyon and bought one of my boys a hidden canyon. I really enjoy the hidden canyon but have only used it on one elk and a couple deer. I have broken down 6 mature bulls and a few cows with the steep country and it has been awesome. My next knife will be a S90V hidden canyon.

I think the saddle mountain would be a great butchering knife but I like shorter blades for quartering and skinning, you can be more precise with a smaller knife.
I agree, have a simular knife to the saddle mountain, when looking at a skinning knife I wanted something shorter, easier on the wrist, I deliberated for a while between steep country and hidden canyon, steep country won but I like the looks of the hidden canyon better.

Back