Benchmade bugout for hunting?

Anybody here use one of these for breaking down an animal or field dressing? Looking to try something new

I’ve used mine on a couple whitetail. I generally end up using two knives, one for getting the hide off, and in this case, the bug-to break them the rest of the way down. I really like the feel of that knife.
The bug out was a gift though, or I would probably still be rocking the ole buck knife! 😂 Sweet little knife though!

Marshfly

WKR
I bought one a couple of months ago. The first thing I said to myself was it reminded me of my old, discontinued Buck 442. Laid them beside each other and sure enough, it’s a lighter version.

That 442 has torn down a pile of animals over the years.

Jbehredt

WKR
I carry one every day to include hunting. Saddle mountain skinner is also in my pack so the bugout is the alternate for field dressing. Did manage to break the tip off prying an ivory out once. Quick reprofile and it’s almost good as new.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry a benchmade “utility” kind of knife with me (griptilian instead of Bugout but they’re one in the same)

But I have yet to find anything that needed cutting on a critter that the havalon couldn’t handle, and handle better.

Havalon (or similar) for all work on animals, benchmade for utility tasks like processing tinder for a fire if needed (even light splitting), cutting cordage if needed, cutting my dinner (if I’m lucky to be eating something that needs cutting) as well as being able to throw sparks on a Ferro rod.

The Bugout would certainly do whatever animal processing tasks just fine. But (my opinion only) the $30 havalon or other scalpel knife beats all when skinning, gutting, and breaking down animals.

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few and they'll certainly do the job. I just typically use a fixed blade due to better ergonomics (bugout handle isn't optimal for me for field dressing) and ease of cleaning (more moving parts with the axis lock). But overall I like bugouts a lot and have carried one extensively.

archp625

WKR
I do not see why you couldn't. I believe there are a couple different metal options so pick the one that suits your needs. My only hesitation (I own and carry one every day) is cleaning it. To me there are too many nooks and crannies in the knife I would not if I had another option. The one I have is M4 steel and I wouldn't with that steel due to possible rust.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
They work fine. I prefer a fixed blade as you don't get gunk inside the handle, but I have used it (a bugout) to butch an entire pig and a bear and it works well.

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
I shot a buck a few years ago and realized the only knife I had on me was a kershaw leek. The other knives were in the truck from dumping out my pack looking for a battery. Cut up a whole buck “gutless method” without an issue. I would use the leek again in a heartbeat. The better edge retaining steel on the bugout would do even better.