Belt Suggestions; Experience with the new Kifaru belt?

MIKEYB

WKR
I also use the EB genius belt daily. May be too stretchy for use with holster and heavy Side arm but have not tested that. Super comfortable though.

Tex68w

WKR
I was just about to pull the trigger on a Sitka belt, I'm glad that I read this thread first. I need to look at the Kifaru, Eddie Bauer, and a few others before I make my decision.

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
The Bison danger belt also comes in 30mm... about 1.2"... the perfect size?

Yep, I am leaning towards going straight to the source with a Bison Gear in 30mm. They have a lot more color selection as well than Kuiu or Kifaru.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Really? Now we have to wear specialty "huning" belts? What's wrong with just a plain old leather belt? What am I missing here?

The updated Kifaru belt is intriguing; anyone with firsthand experience?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and shared experiences.

Cody

Great suggestions so far everyone, thanks! I think the full rigger belts are more heavy-duty than I'm looking for in this application. This belt will really just be for holding up pants, with a key criteria being comfort under a pack belt. I have it narrowed down to the Kuiu, new Kifaru, and Bison Designs danger belt. What is everyone's opinion on webbing diameter? The Kifaru and Bison Designs are both 1.5", the Kuiu is 1". The Black Ovis belt i have now is 1.5", and I don't have any complaints with that width specifically. However, since I'm hoping this belt will be small, light, and unobtrusive, should I weight the 1" of the Kuiu as a plus? Any other thoughts on 1" vs. 1.5" for a belt that doesn't need to support a holster/tools, just hold up pants?

I have the new Kifaru belt and I have used it only a couple of times. Very nice. It's width is not of concern since it fits perfectly with my Sitka Ascent pants. The buckle is pretty low profile and I never notice its bulk at all.

Yes, the full rigger belts are a pain, especially when you have to really go to the bathroom. After sitting at a stand for Coyote Hunting, it can be pretty exciting after the shot is taken. But the rigger belts are really not needed. I have yet to consider being pulled out of the forest by my belt via helicopter. Whenever I was pulled out of the forest via heli for Search and Rescue they always used their own strap system/seat, so really, when do you really need all of that stupid extra material?

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
Thanks for the reminder, I forgot HPG has an option as well. How noisy is the velcro? Has the velcro held up well/shown much wear?

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
Really? Now we have to wear specialty "huning" belts? What's wrong with just a plain old leather belt? What am I missing here?

I wouldn't say anything is wrong with a plain leather belt, and that is what I used for my first five years of back-pack hunting. However, these type of web belts offer some distinct advantages over leather for sure. Which is probably why every major hunting and mountaineering clothing line includes a web belt of some variety, and none (to my knowledge) offer leather belts. For me personally, I find the web belts quieter, more comfortable in relation to a heavy pack belt, and handle moisture better than leather. Not to mention that most of them are cheaper than a quality leather belt. Use what works for you, but recognize that there are a lot of popular alternatives out there worth discussing.

once you go to an arcade belt you never go back. once you put it on it feels like it disappears even with a pack on. only down side is they are too wide for some belt loops. easily the most comfortable belt I have ever used.

The HPG belt can be noisy if you tear the velcro apart quickly. It isn't a belt I'd want to try and remove if I was within ear shot of an animal. I've seen no wear or tear on the velcro on the HPG I have and quality seems to be top notch. I might pick up a second one I like it so much.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the new Kifaru belt. This is only my second web belt, after the one that I was issued, but I really like it. There's nothing really special about it. I think compared to a lot of what's out there, the Kifaru belt is very "basic", for lack of a better term. I like all things Kifaru though and knew I could count on quality. I wear it hiking and hunting, sometimes working and I've used it as a lash strap. It doesn't slip and although it's wider than the previous version, it's very low profile.

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. Went with the Bison Designs Elliptagon Access Denied . Very low profile and light weight. Not sure if the 30mm will feel too small or not, but will find out the next few weekends cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Will likely end of with the Kifaru as well on my next Kifaru order, but the Elliptagon should do well for now and for $14 it was worth a try.

Am i missing something with the kifaru belt and others like it? Seems like you could make something similar (without that sexy logo of course) for a couple of bucks worth of strap and a plastic buckle in about ten minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rewild

FNG
Because of this thread, I decided to look at my belt situation and decided to to try some of the belts suggested. I ordered a Simms RiverTek belt and the Kuiu climbing belt. The Simms belt looks just like the LL Bean belt folks here recommended, the buckle and loop attachment are the same, but the webbing is not stretchy at all, which I like and it's 35mm... a nice width. The buckle lays really flat and seems to hold tight... a great belt! The Kuiu was wider than advertised... 38mm instead of 25mm and has the same buckle as the Bison danger belt... the buckle, when locked down, bulges out quite a bit. I think it would be uncomfortable under a backpack hip-belt, so I sent it back. I still have on order the Bison Danger belt in the 30mm width... I'll see how that compares. Carlin59, let us know what you think of the Bison Elliptagon. This is fun... I like trying to find just the right piece of gear!

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Am i missing something with the kifaru belt and others like it? Seems like you could make something similar (without that sexy logo of course) for a couple of bucks worth of strap and a plastic buckle in about ten minutes.

Sure you could. But what's the fun in that? I've got a couple of leather belts that would have been just as easy to make, but I chose to buy them instead. I bought the belt from Kifaru with an order just because I like that sexy logo and want to support the company. It was also very convenient vs buying webbing and a buckle and it would take a lot of stitches to equal the strength or neatness of the bartack that holds the buckle in. To each there own.

Gr8bawana

WKR

Simply won't work if it doesn't have the logo of one of the overpriced, unnecessary "hunting" accessories. How gauche to be seen out in the field not wearing all the high dollar brand name gear, like one of the little people.

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
Simply won't work if it doesn't have the logo of one of the overpriced, unnecessary "hunting" accessories. How gauche to be seen out in the field not wearing all the high dollar brand name gear, like one of the little people.

I'm not sure where the animosity is coming from? No one is saying you personally have to go buy a new belt, or that one can only kill animals with a hunting/outdoor branded belt? I don't see how this is a "hunters today think they need expensive gear to hunt" issue either. My new belt was $14, the Black Ovis it is replacing was $10. Those two combined are cheaper than the last leather belt I bought. This thread is for constructive discussion of what current belts best meet the stated needs of low-profile fit that will work best with a heavy pack. No one is bashing leather belts, so I'm not sure why the need to bash web belts?