Bell and Carlson stock vs McMillan Ultralight

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have the B&C stock on my MRC 300 and they state that the stock weighs approximately 2-2.25lbs. For a while I have been thinking of saving up and switching it out with a McMillan Ultralight stock at about 22-24ounces. I have been wanting to do this to try to eliminate some weight from my current setup. I guess I am asking if anyone has done this before and what weight savings they have seen and if the ultralight is actually worth it? Thoughts?

brushape

WKR
I just weighted my bell and carlson and it was 2 pounds 13 oz, my manners for my new build is supposed to be about 25 oz which is the same as a mcmillan which would be a pretty huge weight saving; pretty much equivalent to taking the scope off I guess

Forks

FNG
Saving some weight by putting a Manners SL on my rifle was one thing but the fit and feel was what really made the piece special. The upgrade you are thinking of gets two huge thumbs up from me.

AXEL

WKR
I have more than two dozen big game rifles restocked in highend synthetics, several Micky Edge U/Ls among them. I would not even consider packing a B&C handle and Micky and Manners are the cutting edge at present, IMO.

I just wish that Manners would offer a Mauser 98 inlet in their lighter hunting patterns, as I asked them to on the phone a couple of weeks ago.

Get one of these, it IS a VERY worthwhile option, especially as you age and mountains DO grow "steeper"......

handwerk

WKR
Dreamer, I just swapped out the B&C on my MRC 300wsm to a bansner and it was a worthwhile improvement. I do like mcm's better, but between the mcm wait time and funding I chose the bansner this time, plus they had the basner in stock, just needed a little work to get the action mag box to fit .It saved me about 6 oz.

OP
R

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info everyone. Since I have never really held a custom light weight stock how do they feel? For example are they pretty solid feeling? Looks like I might need to pick up a part time job at night and wait the 6 months for one of these things....

hunting1

WKR
I have B&C Mountain stocks (same as the G1 TI rifles) as well replaced one with an Mickey Edge. I don't personally think there is enough improvement to justify the $650.00 price tag. Most will not agree, but my opinion. I had a Rem Mtn stock with Edge fill as well and sold it.

LaGriz

WKR
RamDreamer, Forks, AXEL, and others,
Where do they make the Manners Stocks and can you tell me where to look for them? I have a pre-64 M70 that I wish to do a build on. Any idea if they make a lite-weight stock for these darlings? I'm getting some great input on this sight, with information on calibers, finishes, weight reduction, and reboring. Have already built the weapon in my mind 3-4 times! Any one of these manufactures make a mountain-rifle stock to fit the Winchester and wich one would you be recomend to on thisView attachment 25577 build?

Thanks

Whisky

WKR
Manners stocks are awesome. I've had 4. I will say their "SL" isn't exactly superlight though. With 1 in pad and 3 studs I had one weigh 33oz I think it was. But damn nice stock. I know they've come out with a lighter one now but I have no experience with it.

Manners Stocks are LIGHT RIDGID and VERY ERGONOMIC! I own 4 and also 3 B&C and HS precision stocks as well… i always find myself hunting and shooting my Manners EH-1 rifle! i sold my McM to outfit more rifles with the manners!

I will warn you EH-2 EH-3 & EH-4 have a bit of a sharp comb so if u got a rifle that barks stick with the EH-1 ur cheek and upper molars will thank you! haha! (7 pound 7mag shooting 168gr VLDs at 3209fps made my mouth bleed with a EH-4)

16Bore

WKR
BC isn't even a hair on a McMillans ass. Best stock BC ever did was the original Ti. Current crop of stuff is junk.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
NOT a fan of Manners carbon stocks, owned two. EH-1 and a EH-2. If your going light(Carbon) I would go McMillian or Christensen Arms. Everyone thinks of CA as a carbon barrel company. But they make one of the best carbon stock on the market IMO!

OP
R

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Ryan I have never looked into Christensen Arms for stocks before and I appreciate the heads up. Have you used both the Tier 1 and Tier 2 and if so what are the main differences? Since I would be putting this on a Montana Custom Rifle action and these seem to be made off the Remington 700 footprint I would have to have some extra work done.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have used all of the stocks except the thumbhole stock. The Tier 2 is fiberglass and weighs 32oz. Its a steal at that price point. The Tier 1 stocks are Aerospace grade carbon and you can feel the difference between these stocks and other carbon fiber stocks. They only make stocks for 700 footprints right now but after talking to them I think there will be other options soon.

Last edited: