Beginner saddle set up

Lowg08

WKR
I'm wanting to try out saddle hunting for the first time but not sure which brand or set up to get. I've looked into Hawk and Trophyline some. Any recommendations?
How are you built? I went through i think 3 saddles before I settled. Allot of things weigh on the decision. It’s a giant rabbit hole. I use a tethrd menace and hawk helium 20” sticks. I’m 6’2” 240# 36x36 pants. Kinda built like a silverback gorilla with a duck butt lol. I one stick now to save weight and time. It requires less in my opinion. Shoot me a message I’ll help what I can.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
How are you built? I went through i think 3 saddles before I settled. Allot of things weigh on the decision. It’s a giant rabbit hole. I use a tethrd menace and hawk helium 20” sticks. I’m 6’2” 240# 36x36 pants. Kinda built like a silverback gorilla with a duck butt lol. I one stick now to save weight and time. It requires less in my opinion. Shoot me a message I’ll help what I can.
Unfortunately I’m built exactly like my man Lowg08 and I have been using the Cruzr XC and Muddy Pro sticks for two seasons now and love it. Like he said there’s lots of good options out there and tons of great information from guys who’ve already tried out several that can help you decide. Like Lowg is hinting at…finding someone with a similar build as you for some basic direction is helpful. Maybe Look for a used saddle to start with or at least try out as many as you can to see what you like and don’t like about certain ones.

OP
WannaBeOutdoorsman
I'm about 5'10-5'11, 210lbs and 34x30 pants. How different would you say the sizes are?
Unfortunately I’m built exactly like my man Lowg08 and I have been using the Cruzr XC and Muddy Pro sticks for two seasons now and love it. Like he said there’s lots of good options out there and tons of great information from guys who’ve already tried out several that can help you decide. Like Lowg is hinting at…finding someone with a similar build as you for some basic direction is helpful. Maybe Look for a used saddle to start with or at least try out as many as you can to see what you like and don’t like about certain ones.
Yeah, I was thinking about checking the Classifieds to see if anyone had a saddle up for sale.

Lowg08

WKR
I'm wanting to try out saddle hunting for the first time but not sure which brand or set up to get. I've looked into Hawk and Trophyline some. Any
Look for the tethrd phantom or cruzr xc. I’m a big tethrd fan. Just like their stuff.

Netherman

WKR
Seems like there's a new treesaddle company every week these days. I tried my friends Tethrd mantis and kept feeling like I'd slip out of the bottom. I ended up with a Cruzr Archon which is a two piece saddle and like that I can put the bottom section lower and kind of turn it into a chair. I also move it around a bit to stay comfortable during long sits.

If I were in the market now I'd take a hard look at the latitude outdoors method 2. I really like how they don't have any metal in their design. (I take the lag loops off)

OP
WannaBeOutdoorsman
I did the whole convert a sit-drag into a saddle with an Amsteel bridge thing to try out, liked it, and it’s still all I use. Spent money on a nice platform instead.

I haven’t looked much into platforms just because I’m not sure if I’d like using one. Would you say a platform is worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t looked much into platforms just because I’m not sure if I’d like using one. Would you say a platform is worth it?

Everyone is different, but I don’t think I’d want to stand just in the top rung of sticks for a full morning or evening hunt. The platform I don’t mind. I have the tethrd platform.
Also I can hang it pretty high above my top stick and get a few extra feet of height. I stretch my sticks and stand/platform out a good bit though. Long legs.

Also forgot to mention I use the sit drag as my saddle plus my regular climbing harness as backup. I wouldn’t use the sit drag without a harness.

Jkwright

FNG
If you try any out keep in mind 4 hours in one is a whole different deal than a few minutes. I had a tethrd phantom for a season and never got used to it. I could never get comfortable really struggled to keep from figetting around. I'd second wanting a platform.

D2ma4c

FNG
I have a similar waist size as you and would recommend trying the Tethrd Phantom and the Cruzr XC. Your best bet is to go over to Saddlehunter.com and try to hook up with someone nearby to try several of the saddle systems out. Also, be on the look out for Mobile Hunting Expos, they are popping up around the country.

Tugboatr

FNG
I wouldn't worry about what one you get. Anyone will be good enough to see if you like it. Buy a predator platform and any equipment other than hawk. Ropemans make a big difference on your lineman's belt. It's gonna take at least 5 full sits for you to know. For me it for better all the time

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
I have a platform (predator) and would recommend one. Other people use ROS (ring of steps), or a platform step added to their last stick. I doubt many people stand only on a stop stick.

One other thing I'd consider before getting into the saddle game is the area you hunt. I love my saddle and mobile hunting, but If you have a lot of limbs at hunting height and can't cut branches a hang on might be a better option. I'm kicking around adding one to the arsenal. At least for areas I've prescouted and don't think are optimal for a saddle. I've had a few instances where a hang on would have been better. In MI it's typically pines and branchy maples that get me. A 34" ATA bow doesn't help things either...

Btaylor

WKR
I'm wanting to try out saddle hunting for the first time but not sure which brand or set up to get. I've looked into Hawk and Trophyline some. Any recommendations?
There was a demo day of sorts a week or so ago down in FL that might have been reasonably close to attend with a variety of saddle makers there. I agree with the comment above about staying away from the hawk. Overwatch transformer and Wood saddles are a couple others to consider besides the ones that have been mentioned so far. A platform is a requirement for me. I am using the trophyline mission and like it because it is big enough for me to stand on and turn for a weak side shot rather shooting over the bridge. Another option is using a small lock on. Really depends on what your goals are for the system. Do you normally hunt a long way in or relatively close to the truck? There is a massive amount of flexibility in how you set up your system which is a good and bad thing for some one new to it.

OP
WannaBeOutdoorsman
There was a demo day of sorts a week or so ago down in FL that might have been reasonably close to attend with a variety of saddle makers there. I agree with the comment above about staying away from the hawk. Overwatch transformer and Wood saddles are a couple others to consider besides the ones that have been mentioned so far. A platform is a requirement for me. I am using the trophyline mission and like it because it is big enough for me to stand on and turn for a weak side shot rather shooting over the bridge. Another option is using a small lock on. Really depends on what your goals are for the system. Do you normally hunt a long way in or relatively close to the truck? There is a massive amount of flexibility in how you set up your system which is a good and bad thing for some one new to it.

It depends on what spot I’m at there’s some where I have to hike a bit and others not so much.

Btaylor

WKR
If you by chance already have a minimal rock climbing harness, you could make a fleece saddle for next to nothing to try the concept of saddle hunting out. That's what I did and have continued to use it. As far as platform, I would recommend the mission or the smaller version from trophyline or something like the LWCG .5 stand. Guys seem to like the platfroms from Out on a Limb too but I dont have any experience with them. I an not a fan of a ring of steps but that might work for you as well. Saddlehunter forum would be a great resource for you to read up on different saddles, platforms, climbing methods, etc.

13joshop

FNG
I have a tethrd phantom only been playing with mine for 1 season and target shooting in the summer. I really enjoy the mobility and light weight of it. Ropeman's for me were an awesome upgrade and would recommend its easier to adjust when trying to settle in for long sits. Also shorter stick if using multiple so get around limbs if needed, can be harder with longer sticks. I also had a buddy using the hawk and his started tearing and wearing really fast I don't know if it was a fluke deal on just his or what happened he's the only one I know that has used a hawk and also the only other person I personally know that uses a saddle.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a Tethrd phantom for 2 seasons and am switching to an Overwatch Transformer. Really looking forward to using it this season. On longer sits the Phantom just wasn’t that comfortable to me. The transformer is a two panel system, but can be cinched together to act as a single panel.

Also switched to one sticking last year and don’t see myself changing my climbing method anytime soon. Less to carry into the woods and safer to get out of a tree by rappelling. I do however still use a predator platform. Can’t seem to want to give up that flexibility