beginner question

bnsafe

WKR
do you guys opt for a tent that is more waterproof, say 2000 coated, or one that is less protected but a little lighter. i would think that gettin wet in any way would be a really bad thing in the backcountry. im on a tight budget and dont want to spend to much as this is my first elk hunt and not sure if i will ever do it again or not.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If on a back pack hunt I would go with waterproof or a lighter tent and tarp combo. If you are wet and miserable you will enc up leaving early. And once you go elk hunting once, you will be hooked. Big animals, screaming and fighting up close, pretty damn cool.

Honestly, for a one time trip ie. limited usage, you will probably be perfectly fine with a mid level type tent. Determine if you enjoy it, and then buy quality from there.
I purposely stayed away from your water proof coating question because it varies so much depending on angles of fabric, type of fabric etc.

ckleeves

WKR
You probably already know but sierra trading post has some decent tents at a real decent price. Sign up for their deal flyer and just wait untill you get a good coupon (like 40% off) and you can be into a tent that will work fine for not much $