Beginner Livestock for Small Acreage

I'm planning on planting about a 100 yard long stretch of Fireweed for the bees and blacktail, and we have 1.75 acres of salmonberry, blackberry, and early blooming cherry trees.

Most of our neighboring properties around us have an excess of salmonberry and blackberry, but very few have flowering gardens for pollinators.

Do you guys think it would be necessary to plant more than the above before getting bees? I don't want to get them and not have enough "feed".

They will fly a few miles to get resources. Maple trees in early spring can be a big target, black berries, dandelion, ect.... What little you have on 2 acres likely wont be a big player in their lives unless its the prime target at a specific time. They may ignore your land completely if something better is in bloom within range.

It would probably be best to try and figure out what will provide pollen and/or nectar at a time when other sources aren't available and plant that. But planting any good sources certainly wont hurt.

Deer and bees really like clover. Crimson, alsike, ect....

Buckwheat is pretty good for bees. It's a summer annual, but it matures quickly so when you know the local plant cycles you can plant it timed to produce during a slower cycle.

If doing a small area crimson clover behind it for a winter cover can produce a nice spring crop on the same ground.

qwerksc

WKR
Just sold a meat rabbit for $30, two more and we are down to the breeding pair again. Little Debbie will pump out 8 to 15 kits a litter.

Attachments

• 97133DF7-55B6-4CE4-AE5D-B1665882998C.jpeg
    97133DF7-55B6-4CE4-AE5D-B1665882998C.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 27

Ucsdryder

WKR
We have Finn sheep. They are friendly like dogs which is nice because most sheep are skidish. They are also prolific and generally have 3-4 lambs per pregnancy. We carry over 10 ewes and a couple rams each year. Have about 4 acres of pasture and 2 acres of mixed woods for half the year. They eat about 300 squares in the winter.

The guy who said sheep are born trying to die is right. It’s always a battle but after a couple seasons you get the hang of it. They are good for meat and wool. Most money is made from selling ewe lambs as breeding stock to people like yourself starting flocks. No real money to be made but they keep the land looking nice.
View attachment 374694
That’s funny about sheep trying to die. Growing up my dad used to get so mad at the sheep. When a coyote would come into the flock at night they would ball up in a big circle, with their heads facing in and their asses out. The coyote would just sit there and eat the hind end out of one of them and they’d all just stand there. I must have been 7-8 years old but I still remember my dad yelling at the sheep, “just turn around and stomp the sum bitch”! I think it stuck with me because I remember thinking, they don’t understand a word you’re saying!

Wvroach

WKR
Just sold a meat rabbit for $30, two more and we are down to the breeding pair again. Little Debbie will pump out 8 to 15 kits a litter.
What breed do you raise? I've got silver fox and Californian whites enjoy both but wouldn't mind trying something different. Average around here is $6 a pound hard to sell in my small market, I tend to have to market a fair deal for the rabbits. It's actually more "profitable" if I list them on cl as pets I can usually get 25$ out of them.. we just processed 21 from the last litter and are down to the breeding 4 now.

OP
The Ri Guy
Dang, $30 per rabbit?! Are you selling to restaurants or something?

qwerksc

WKR
What breed do you raise? I've got silver fox and Californian whites enjoy both but wouldn't mind trying something different. Average around here is $6 a pound hard to sell in my small market, I tend to have to market a fair deal for the rabbits. It's actually more "profitable" if I list them on cl as pets I can usually get 25$ out of them.. we just processed 21 from the last litter and are down to the breeding 4 now.
American Chinchilla, very nice rabbits, kinda rare heritage breed.

qwerksc

WKR
We just bought a bigger property, gonna shift focus and set up a more efficient, sustainable lifestyle. Lots to learn.

bcox90

FNG
I suggest someone just starting out strongly consider goats. They are smaller and easier to handle than cattle and are generally more hearty than sheep. We have a flock of about 25 brood ewes plus some yearlings and a ram. We joke that sheep are born trying to die. Never quite sure for the first 24 hours if they will make it. It is also common to have to assist the ewe with passing the lamb. We have two that were due this past weekend and could lamb at any time now. We've been checking our cameras every 20 minutes and a few times throughout the night to monitor things.

I had goats as a kid (no pun intended 😉), and within a few hours of being born they were bouncing all over the pen.
Great advice! I've been 50/50 on the two. Thanks

Malcolm31

FNG
I'd say goats or sheep. When you step up to large stuff like cattle or horses think about vet care. How you going to trap and wrangle the cattle to give them shots and vaccines? That calls for working squeeze chutes and corrals. At least a head catch right? Plus you gonna need a livestock trailer. With goats or sheep you could pitch them in a SUV, and they are small enough to man-handle into a corner for shots and vet work.-WW
This…maybe some chickens or turkeys too!

Wvroach

WKR
These little gals were just born a few hours ago. 2 more does due any day

Attachments

• 58680.jpeg
    58680.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 58681.jpeg
    58681.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 10