Been sewing again

Having read through your previous thread on pullouts, pouches and pockets, I'm curious if you've found any new tips/tricks that will help us first timers? I do have one question regarding the zippers. When cutting your zippers to length, do you cut the zipper 1/4" - 1/2" long to allow for overhang, or are they cut to the same size as the fabric? I bought 5 yards of #5 YKK on ebay, so I'm hoping to get started as soon as it gets here. Thanks for all the information!

Yeah, I do have a few things that I have learned and changed. Nothing major but I would bet it would help you out. I will see if I can get another thread posted with an updated method.

On the zippers, if I am using the cut to length zipper, I just cut it pretty close to the length of the fabric. Maybe just a little extra but it doesn't matter that much. Also, I don't put the zipper pulls on the zipper until I have done the first 4 stitches to where the zipper is fully sewn on.

Yeah, I do have a few things that I have learned and changed. Nothing major but I would bet it would help you out. I will see if I can get another thread posted with an updated method.

On the zippers, if I am using the cut to length zipper, I just cut it pretty close to the length of the fabric. Maybe just a little extra but it doesn't matter that much. Also, I don't put the zipper pulls on the zipper until I have done the first 4 stitches to where the zipper is fully sewn on.

Very good information! Waiting to put the zipper pulls on should make it a lot easier to sew the zipper on. Thanks!

Here are a couple others I finally had time to tackle.

20141130_172837.jpg

20141130_172920.jpg

20141130_172758.jpg

20141130_172736.jpg

20141129_174538.jpg

20141130_173038.jpg

IMG_2696_zpsfef0e432.jpg

Pretty nice. what are the latest additions purposes?

Weird as I swear I already replied to your question but...

Well, mostly just to play around and try out new stuff but I think this new one has some potential. I added some attachment webbing so it can attach to a pack or frame. My basic idea is it can carry my tent and some camp stuff as a sort of long pocket attached to the pack. But once at camp it can be emptied and used as a small day pack. I still need to work some things out and the webbing isn't perfect on this one since it added it after the bag was assembled.

IMG_2711_zps0909d611.jpg

IMG_2712_zpsa5d74b20.jpg

IMG_2713_zpseb8d1cf3.jpg

IMG_2714_zps8dac7e33.jpg

IMG_2715_zpse8eb3451.jpg

You did say that though I thought the latest pics that you posted were different pouches for a different purpose.
Hmm, not sure what I may have meant. Although, this Cordura stuff is an obvious shift from the UL pullouts. more song the lines of exterior pack attachments that provide a but more protection from the elements and abrasion.

Back