Bedding a Picatinny Rail

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I used to lap my rings to get a nice full contact mount with the scope tube. Then I learned that lapping rings was usually more of a problem with improper fit between the bases and the receiver.

Receiver holes aren't always drilled as precisely as they could be. They could be a little out line with each other or spaced just a little bit too narrow or wide. When they are torqued down, they will cause two piece bases to be misaligned, or one piece bases to arc or twist slightly. Then, when the rings are mounted, the rings are slightly out of alignment, and don't get an even, full-contact purchase on the scope tube.

One way to fix this problem would be to bed a one piece picatinny rail to the action it will sit on. If done properly, the base should be totally stress free and aligned. So the rings would then be mounted aligned, and negate the need to lap the rings.

I have started bedding one piece picatinny rails on all of my rifles, and have noticed that ring contact has improved dramatically, and now I no longer lap my rings.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a gunsmith. This video is a demonstration on what I did and do. There are no guarantees that it will work for you. Using epoxy around a rifle could damage the rifle or make it unsafe to use. Try at your own risk.

Here is a video I made on bedding a rail to a Model 700:

[video=youtube;Nv5KCXchSgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5KCXchSgY&feature=plcp&context=C3f33f46UDOEgsToPDskJBgHKakYGJuyQfilgZ0Kqv[/video]

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bitteroot, good job and thanks for taking the time to post that very informative video. We love video!

seriously good job

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Bitteroot, good job and thanks for taking the time to post that very informative video. We love video!

seriously good job

Thanks Robby. I am glad you liked it.

The Devcon Steel Putty is also an excellent action bedding compound.