Bear processing question

I leave for Canada in two weeks after black bear!
Found out the locker I take my deer to doesn’t take bear until fall (doesn’t take boned out meat either).

May try and find a locker on the way, but I’ll be traveling back on a Sunday which could cause issues.

Considering just taking the plunge to get a grinder & the accompanying items to process my own, but have a couple questions.

1. What all would I need to make bear sausage besides the grinder?

2. What seasonings do you all prefer when making bear sausage?

I’ve never taken a bear before so this is all new territory for me.

I do have a Traeger pellet smoker I can use if that’s part of the process

OP
Jacob Chapman
If you’re doing anything like summer or snack sticks you’ll need a stuffer. If doing loose bulk all you need is a grinder. Your Traeger is fine to smoke it on.

You could also do just lean grind and use it for meatballs, spaghetti, etc.

Do yourself a favor and smoke a roast for BBQ sandwiches. It’s fantastic.
I have a ton of sticks from my whitetails this fall so I don’t think I’ll do sticks, I’ve heard bear sausage is good so was thinking that & roasts!

I have a ton of sticks from my whitetails this fall so I don’t think I’ll do sticks, I’ve heard bear sausage is good so was thinking that & roasts!
I just did a bunch of Hi Mountain Hunters Blend summer. It’s really good. I had to borrow the stuffer. If you buy one get one of the gear driven types (5 lb).

I plan on trying some spicy Italian this fall, and maybe some chorizo.

bluesulphur

Lil-Rokslider
I have a smallish LEM stuffer that I use, but some grinders come with a kidney bean style plate that may be used in a pinch for sausage making. Once again, I've never done it but it's possible. Someone else on here probably has tried it.

Tmac

WKR
You can get by with just the grinder and stuff off the grinder. Not ideal but it works. I do consider a foot pedal switch for the grinder mandatory. That, with your smoker, and you have a minimalist set up that will take care of that bear. A couple meat tubs are nice to have too.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
A grinder and a stuffer are some of the best items I’ve ever purchased. I treat them like shops and go as big as you can afford, you won’t regret it.

Bcon

FNG
I turned mine into a few roasts and then ground the rest with some beef tallow from the locker and use it as burger. Fantastic smash burgers etc...