Bear Meat

BS Shooter

Lil-Rokslider
My families favorite is bear roast in the crock pot. I think it has the texture of pork but the flavor of whatever you cook it in.... unless they are eating garbage or something rotten.

Man that's weird cuz every guide I talked to said the exact opposite. And I talked to a bunch. Not trying to argue, but we talked to the guide we have gone with several times who has been guiding for 25 years and he said he had never seen the berries that bad They were literally everywhere last year. Had his worst year as far as bear harvest. Then we talked to another guide we are going with this year, he said the same thing . He's been guiding about 40 years and said last year was the worst year he's ever had bear wise because of the insane amount of berries. We went to the hunting expo in Grand Rapids and talked to several other guides , all of em said the same . So we are hoping that means this year will be a great year for bears. Assuming we get to go with all the crap that's going on right now.
To the OP , the best way we liked our bear meat was brats and roast. Couldn't believe how good the brats turned out. And I eat alot of different brats

Hello,

Sorry I'm late responding. I went back to my guides email took a bit to find, it wasn't descriptive just said "berries were down this year and bear sightings were up." Hadn't followed up with him to find out how season went. Camp Narrows is the place. I'd really love to head back there for waterfowl-fishing combo trip, duck hunting mornings and fishing all day after. I considered it pretty affordable rate for a weeks trip. Check it out if you like ducks too!

Take care,

COTW

JMDavies

WKR
I just smoked my first bear ham last weekend. I was guessing it would have turned out tough and dry. Boy was I wrong. It turned out great.

Werty

WKR
A buddy of mine that guides in Alaska told me he killed a fall bear off a blueberry patch, said it was the sweetest and best meat he has ever eaten.
Personally the best hunter stick sausage I have ever eaten, came from a fall bear.

MDR

FNG
Bear meat is definitely underutilized. I enjoy hunting and eating bears, especially since it gets me out and about in the spring.
I just finished eating some jalapeno cheddar bear sausages for lunch.

My favourite ways to prepare bear are:
-Bear ham
-Burgers
-Sausage