Bear Help

Needing some help with bear habits and some changes I’m seeing. For reference I’m a spot and stalk or run and gun hunter… I’ve never messed with baiting.

Backstory:
I had an area that for probably 5 or 6 years seemed to hold a lot of bears. Whether I was hunting them or not I’d find tracks, scat, see them on the hillsides, creek bottoms, etc. Bigger males, moms with cubs, all sorts. It wasn’t uncommon for me to be out there for 4-5 days and see bears most of the days… and certainly I’d see sign.

Starting last fall I can’t find a turd to save my life. Spring or fall. The berries are still growing in the creek bottoms and drainages but there’s no sign. I’ve checked adjacent drainages, creeks, meadows, etc. Nothing.

So… where did these bears run off to? There hasn’t been any major changes to the area as far as human presence, vegetation, fires. Could it be the unusually hot summers that last into the fall we’ve had for a few years? For reference this is central Idaho

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Last edited:
There could be a variety of reasons. Not knowing anything about the location your referring to, I'd be taking a wild guess.

Taudisio

WKR
Central Idaho.
First couple thoughts that come to mind,
Someone has a good bait pile nearby pulling and keeping the bears there.
No easy access water.
There are so many berries somewhere else with better cover/water.
Acorns dropped early and the bears are on them.
You killed them all or scared the last remaining ones and they don’t get pushed off a better spot like they did when there were more bears.

OP
J
First couple thoughts that come to mind,
Someone has a good bait pile nearby pulling and keeping the bears there.
No easy access water.
There are so many berries somewhere else with better cover/water.
Acorns dropped early and the bears are on them.
You killed them all or scared the last remaining ones and they don’t get pushed off a better spot like they did when there were more bears.
You could be right. I’ve seen more than a few bears pulled out of that area. The area is pretty vast and tough to navigate… so maybe a better spot has drawn them in to that area