Bear Habitat

BowBaboon

FNG
Hi all,

I’m new to bear hunting and have a few questions regarding habitat.

I hiked in to a spot yesterday that had plenty of south facing slopes with tons of rocks on those faces. In addition, there is a decent amount of green grass (for 8200’) with some wildflowers poking through.

The only issue is there aren’t many trees nearby. I think the closest trees are about a half mile away from these faces. Should I be looking in places with closer proximity to the trees or does the timber cover not matter?

Thanks

Hi all,

I’m new to bear hunting and have a few questions regarding habitat.

I hiked in to a spot yesterday that had plenty of south facing slopes with tons of rocks on those faces. In addition, there is a decent amount of green grass (for 8200’) with some wildflowers poking through.

The only issue is there aren’t many trees nearby. I think the closest trees are about a half mile away from these faces. Should I be looking in places with closer proximity to the trees or does the timber cover not matter?

Thanks
How close do you have to be to glass into the area? If it’s got the feed, I’d look at it. A half mile is no distance at all for them to travel.

How close do you have to be to glass into the area? If it’s got the feed, I’d look at it. A half mile is no distance at all for them to travel.
I appreciate the response. These are relatively narrow "canyons." So, when I glass into them, I'm about 6-700 yards away from the other side.

I wasn't really sure how lazy bears are, so it's good to hear that they'll travel a half mile no problem. That doesn't really surprise me since this country is incredibly open.

Is there a specific amount of grass I should be looking for? Or am I just looking for the highest concentration of feed in an area and hanging out there until I can't stand it?

I appreciate the response. These are relatively narrow "canyons." So, when I glass into them, I'm about 6-700 yards away from the other side.

I wasn't really sure how lazy bears are, so it's good to hear that they'll travel a half mile no problem. That doesn't really surprise me since this country is incredibly open.

Is there a specific amount of grass I should be looking for? Or am I just looking for the highest concentration of feed in an area and hanging out there until I can't stand it?
Early in the season they will camp out on feed and stay in it all day. They will stop eating to take naps, and may find places to “disappear” in what seems like a wide open place by laying in a slight depression or something similar. Bears are like humans, lazy. If they have zero reason to leave, they won’t. But they can also be picky eaters, and want the freshest green-up possible. If you’re in an area and can see a lot of country, and you don’t see anything after a couple hours, I’d find something else to look at.

Back