Bear deterrence at backpacking base camp.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Had a grizz cut a stone sheep hunt short this season. Came into camp when we were up the hill for the day and decided to wreck what he could. Destroyed a tipi, tent, 2 air mattresses, 1 sleeping bag, chair, took off with all our food bags that were hanging 15 ft up on a meat pole. Also drank a bottle of whisky for good measure.

Curious what is on the market now days to set up that is fairly light. Not sure I would pack it up the hill when I bivy out but would be good piece of mind coming back to my food stash half way through a trip knowing it’s still intact. Planning on going back to the same place and don’t want a repeat performance. Electric fence the way to go? Also seen some trip wire bear banger looking units for sale but never seen any reviews.

Beendare

WKR
I made up an electric fence with carbon arrow poles, the tape and a UL charger. Weighs about 3#-4# all in. Key is a good grounding rod and have a tester to confirm.

OP
B

bard

Lil-Rokslider
How did it get your food bags? How close to the meat pole was your

How did it get your food bags? How close to the meat pole was your camp?
Meat pole was 30 yrds away. Was already put up with old ropes on it so we used it to put all our spare food up high. Realized after the bear hit us that someone had driven spikes into the tree to climb up to hang ropes. My guess is the grizz used the spikes to climb up.

OP
B

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Do most fence in camp and leave food inside the fence or put up a fence for tents and another around meat/ food poles? Any company recommendations