Bear bag help

jack

FNG
Hello all, quick question about bear bags. I tried to search for it but couldnt really find what I was looking for. When you are hanging a bear bag, what kind of bag are you using? Does it matter? I found the ursack on line but they are a bit pricey...would a sea to summit type nylon bag work as well? I was even thinking about using the lid off of my pack as well?? Any help on this would be appreciated!

The area will be North Central Colorado this summer and fall (black bears).

thanks!

rayporter

WKR
its all in how you hang it. get it out and high enough and a paper bag will do.

for fall a small piece of paper with BEAR written on it by the game and fish will do nicely to scare them off.

OP
J

jack

FNG
I wasn't sure if I was missing something with the bags. I guess they can smell it in any kind of bag, just hanging it where hey can't get to it is more important. Thanks

GoatNuts

FNG
I keep all my food in a UL dry bag. My bear rope has a small caribeaner on it to clip to mine and my partners food bags when we hoist it. The rope is one I researched and ordered from a logging supply company. It's thin, lightweight, and coated in a wax like substance so it slides across branches and doesn't get hung up.

GoatNuts

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Hanging the bag high enough and away from the tree is the main concern. Lookup the PCT bear bag method. There are some decent YouTube videos out the demonstrating how to do it. Other than that it doesn't really matter what you use. Once on a group backpacking trip everyone put their food in a tarp and we tied the corners and strung that up.

I have the Lawson Bear Line and it does glide much easier making it much easier to hoist your bag. I usually just use my sleeping bag compression sack as my bear bag.